• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defect? on a dime

5 posts in this topic

My wife found this 1987 dime. The coin shows very little wear, but has this raised area on the back of the coin. It doesn't go past the raised ridge on the edge of the coin and is about 1/2 mm thick and doesn't go any higher than the ridge on the edge of the coin. The grooved edge of the coin is not disturbed. The face side of the coin is not disturbed. The raised area has a small groove in the middle. It appears to be part of the coin as there is no evidence of any seam along the side where it meets the coin and appears to be continuous with the coin. 

Any ideas of what it might be?

ThanksP8120588.thumb.JPG.8e23ca07add57f286e8b0cfdd40fb9fa.JPG

Hard to tell with that blurry photo but it looks to me like something was added possibly to make jewellery.

One thing for sure is that it is PMD not an error as there is no way this could happen during the striking of the coin.

In the future, please crop and rotate your pictures properly. It makes it easier to diagnose.

Greenstang:

I think you are right. I was pretty sure that something like this couldn't happen during stamping. The angle across the coin is too perfect and the reason why it looks like it is part of the coin is probably a very well done bit of soldering. The surface of the addition is also not as shiny as the rest of the coin and is probably a different material. I think I will put a soldering iron to it and I suspect it will come off.

Thank you for the response.

I have a very good question! 

If a planchet ,that was created to fit into a chamber of being stamped to make a  coin. 

Then when told that's not possible to happen at strike.

Ok then someone please tell me.that if this is not possible! Then why would there be any off centered coins? THAT IS PROOF THAT ANYTHING IS LIABLE TO HAPPEN! 

What is a over polished initial? Because if they can remove the initials by polishing it! Then why haven't they used it to remove extra dates or letters that was left behind? 

That dime! Well I'm No expert!     Yet! That bar or strip,well it do looks like it was stamped.on the left side of the coin,let's say on the rim it a number there.which really do match the strip tone or color.

Even the word Dime! Look at it.do you not see what's in between the words? Yet! You about to talk yourself out of a rare coin.because I never seen one like that.Lol the bar or strip! Has been stamped and it has the imprints of blending back together.Meaning.that some of the coin markings are on that bar or strip.

SOMETIMES WHEN PEOPLE GIVE YOU AN ANSWER.WELL AS YOU CAN SEE,IT LEAVES YOU WITH MORE QUESTIONS.

IM VERY SURE YOU HAVE IT UNDER THE SCOPE? 

It's not about being a error! It's about it being rare.Besides how many times have you came across a coin,that you study for days and you knew in your heart it's an Error? Then to be told that is not possible! It's a machine,so ANYTHING is possible! .