• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Identification

3 posts in this topic

I just inherited coins and am just learning about them.  Most of the coins are easy to identify U.S. coins.  That said, there are several older looking coins I couldn't identify.  Does anyone know what these are?  Thanks!  Ryan

Unknown coins.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

There are all types of people who frequent this forum, so you might want to include the word "ancient" in your title, to help attract the right responders.

When it comes to identifying ancients, there are a few things that you can do to make it easier for someone to help you. 

First, post clear,  well lit, straight-on pictures of both sides of each coin, and limit your posts to one or two coins each. This helps to avoid confusion. 

Next, provide the diameter, in centimeters, of the coin, and the weight, in grams. If you don't have scales, you can probably have them weighed by  a local jeweler.

Also, don't panic if you don't get immediate answers. There are a few quite knowledgable people in the area of ancient coins that post on here, but they may not be online every day, so be patient about getting responses.

Good luck! 

Just at a glance Bob, the bottom left looks Greek to me. Above it Roman & the 2 on the right to me in my opinion & knowledge of their symbolism think the 2 on the right are Viking or earl pagan. Just an opinion.... id lean more towards Greeks. Almost looks like Leonitus to me on the left bottom lol.. 

Edited by Trevor40