• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 Lincoln Penny with dot

3 posts in this topic

I have a 1916 Lincoln Penny with a dot below the date. Coin is not in great shape. Any suggestions of its value? I appreciate the comments of die deterioration however DDD would show signs in other areas of the coin which in this case does not appear to show signs of DD or DDD. I understand the condition of the coin is poor. The dot appears to be almost the same height as the 1 and the 9.  The coins even wear from the center of the coin to the exterior of the coin. I still want your comments, to confirm if this is an error before attempting to have coin graded to confirm dot. Thank you all for the input. I also submitted theses images to a large Auction house based in the USA. I received a reply today and they suggested to get coins graded and recognize NGC as one of there graders. That answers my question whether to get graded. Thanks all.

1916 Lincoln Penny DOT OBV.jpg

1916 Lincoln Penny DOT REV.jpg

1916 Obv.jpg

1916 Wheat Obv.jpg

1916 Lincoln Wheat Obv.jpg

1916 Lincoln Wheat Penny Obv.jpg

Edited by Atache

May also be damage that has pushed up a small mound of metal.  Can't tell from that image.

Greenstang I think your value estimate is seriously high.  This is a 1916 Philadelphia in VG to Fine, I would think 50 cents would be a closer retail value.