New Jersey State Quarter
1 1

5 posts in this topic

3 posts

I have a New Jersey state quarter that is bronze in color, the color is very consistent.  I showed it to a friend of my dad's who collects coins because I was curious what could cause the discoloration. He wasn't sure so I googled it, where I found stories of New Jersey quarters made with a different metal.  If these quarters really exist, is there a simple way to figure out if I have one, or do I need to involve a professional.  Also any recommendations for professionals in Southern Maine/New Hampshire.  Thank you for your time.

1,937 posts

Welcome to the Chat Box

First of all submit a clear photo of both sides plus the weight to two decimal points to this forum. This can go a long in helping determine what you have. There are many experts on this Forum who may be able to help.

Environmental Toning can change the colour of a coin so it may not be an off metal.

5,178 posts

5.6 is well within tolerance for a clad quarter, so I am going to guess that this statement correctly describes your coin:

On 8/2/2019 at 3:49 PM, Greenstang said:

Environmental Toning can change the colour of a coin so it may not be an off metal.