I got the Attribution!!!
1 1

32 posts in this topic

848 posts

I got it Y'all!!! I did! I did! I did! I got my name in lights. I'm so excited right now. I saw where USPS had a package coming Friday but I hadn't ordered anything and figured out it had to be my Nickel. And the anticipation was killing me and I thought, wonder if it would already be on the website? And it was. Whoop!! Whoop!!! Does this mean I'm not a Newbie anymore?

Screenshot_20190731-200445.png

Screenshot_20190731-200439.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,254 posts

Well. if that isn't a cause for a banana dance, I don't know what is!!

Congratulations!! :applause:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Edited by Just Bob
more dancers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts

I think we need more bananas to equate to my level of excitement, Bob. I know it is such an obvious DD but it is still my very first Attribution and since I can't decide what it is I want to focus on with respect to collecting I am happy to have something to distract me for a few. And it took less than a month to receive it back and was my first 2019 Nickel of the year. Well, my only one so far. Thanks for your encouragement, kind Sir. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts

Ah! I've used up my reactions for the day. Thanks a bunch C&M. Didn't I get a bunch of Nickel rolls from you a while back? Maybe? It's been a while, maybe not.

 

Yes! Yes! Bob. I think that comes pretty close. Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
638 posts
6 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ah! I've used up my reactions for the day. Thanks a bunch C&M. Didn't I get a bunch of Nickel rolls from you a while back? Maybe? It's been a while, maybe not.

 

Yes! Yes! Bob. I think that comes pretty close. Lol!

Yeah, I believe you got a few late 1950s rolls from me at some point. I hoped you would find something cool in them. I had those things forever with the intent to look at them but never did. I’m glad to see you’re still going strong. I think it is very cool to have your name linked to the attribution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
1 hour ago, coinsandmedals said:

Yeah, I believe you got a few late 1950s rolls from me at some point. I hoped you would find something cool in them. I had those things forever with the intent to look at them but never did. I’m glad to see you’re still going strong. I think it is very cool to have your name linked to the attribution. 

I do love the Nickels. They are the coin I find the coolest errors on. Honestly I still have 2 rolls unsearched. Same year and Brian's list for the year wasn't complete. So far there are like 50 listed! Lol! But now that I know some more I will definitely be sorting them before I do any more Lincoln's. Also, 1 roll was full of the same DDR accompanied by varying degrees of either Major Reverse Laminations or pretty severe Obverse Cracks, some with both. I mean nearly every single Nickel in the roll! I figure because there were so many they likely aren't valuable but I was amazed at them all being together like that and they are all in my Nickel binder. Tomorrow I will pick the most severe and send you some pics. Heck, I'd send you one of each if you'd like. So until then, baa-bye! -Karen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
638 posts
7 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I do love the Nickels. They are the coin I find the coolest errors on. Honestly I still have 2 rolls unsearched. Same year and Brian's list for the year wasn't complete. So far there are like 50 listed! Lol! But now that I know some more I will definitely be sorting them before I do any more Lincoln's. Also, 1 roll was full of the same DDR accompanied by varying degrees of either Major Reverse Laminations or pretty severe Obverse Cracks, some with both. I mean nearly every single Nickel in the roll! I figure because there were so many they likely aren't valuable but I was amazed at them all being together like that and they are all in my Nickel binder. Tomorrow I will pick the most severe and send you some pics. Heck, I'd send you one of each if you'd like. So until then, baa-bye! -Karen

That’s awesome! I’m glad you found some cool stuff. They had been sitting in a box for at least a decade and I figured they would be more appreciated by someone who would take the time to look at them. It sounds like the one was a very interesting roll. No need to send a bunch of pics but it would be cool to see some of the more severe examples.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,028 posts

Considering how inor most class VIII doubled dies are, that one is VERY impressive.  Now with that reference would one of the TPG's slab it as the discovery coin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
46 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Considering how inor most class VIII doubled dies are, that one is VERY impressive.  Now with that reference would one of the TPG's slab it as the discovery coin?

Oh gosh, idk? I was just gonna have my friend Jon slab it for me and make some kind of display with it and whatever letter I get. I never thought of it as being a discovery coin. That makes it sound so much more important. And thus has me all smiley again. I think I am too big for my britches today. Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Congratulations !!!    ^^     Your coin searching has paid off.

It's always nice when a fellow forum member can have a coin attributed.

Thanks man. I'm pretty stoked. I loaned a girl $1 and she got it back as change!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
2 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

Woohooo!!!! :news:  I'm just going to chime in and congratulate you. Wow that is amazing. I feel like you have made it to the Hall of Fame and I am starstruck right now. ^^

Lol! Thanks! I am kinda starstruck myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,231 posts
6 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Lol! Thanks! I am kinda starstruck myself.

OUTSTANDING! Enjoy. That's pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

OUTSTANDING! Enjoy. That's pretty cool.

Dangit! Still won't allow me to react. Thank you, Sir. I am fairly stoked over it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts

Welp, the letter was a giant disappointment and sucked much of the joy right out of me. Smh. I guess that's the femininity in my coming out. I've really wanted an Attribution ever since I knew there was such a thing and it just "ain't all that". I am still happy just a little disappointed. Rant over. Thanks for your attention. I won't do that anymore. Lol! Here it is! I mean he cut my name and address out of the note I enclosed and used it as the address to return it to me. Who does that?!

aviary-image-1564798509707~2.jpeg

aviary-image-1564798993596.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts

Thanks Y'all. 

You know, Conder, I have had several other people say I should get the discovery on it but they said there should have been something in the letter about it. There wasn't so I don't know if they would even believe I was sending the same coin in. I have decided that the company that provides the verification of the Attribution should offer that service at an extra fee. You know, offer to send it for us.  Oh well, I am still happy just to be a star.

Yes, Thompson. I am still bummed about that. I have ordered another though so we shall see if I actually get it. I just hope the suspension given that seller is a permanent one.

Edited by KarenHolcomb
To fix typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,231 posts

Karen,

IF either NGC (my personal preference) or another service decides to certify your WDDR-003 (but they are under no obligation to do so), send along that letter when you send in the coin. That is your "provenance" of a discovery coin. Now, there remain open questions, mostly two. 1) How many more are out there? 2) How many collectors will want one? You want the first number to be low, and the second one, high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Karen,

IF either NGC (my personal preference) or another service decides to certify your WDDR-003 (but they are under no obligation to do so), send along that letter when you send in the coin. That is your "provenance" of a discovery coin. Now, there remain open questions, mostly two. 1) How many more are out there? 2) How many collectors will want one? You want the first number to be low, and the second one, high.

Yes Sir. I have thought about the number quite a bit, and I think with it being such obvious doubling that it was likely noticed fairly quickly. Gawd, 3 adverbs in one sentence-that's a first. Lol! I sent it into Brian's Variety because he does the Nickel Attributions for John Wexler. I didn't know that I could send it anywhere else. Regardless, while it would be nice to have it slabbed as a discovery, I don't intend to ever sell it anyway. Rather my plan is to simply frame the letter and somehow incorporate the coin into a kind of shrine that I can display them in my little coinage nook here at the house. If it's worthy then my grand daughter can sell it after I die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,231 posts
1 minute ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Yes Sir. I have thought about the number quite a bit, and I think with it being such obvious doubling that it was likely noticed fairly quickly. Gawd, 3 adverbs in one sentence-that's a first. Lol! I sent it into Brian's Variety because he does the Nickel Attributions for John Wexler. I didn't know that I could send it anywhere else. Regardless, while it would be nice to have it slabbed as a discovery, I don't intend to ever sell it anyway. Rather my plan is to simply frame the letter and somehow incorporate the coin into a kind of shrine that I can display them in my little coinage nook here at the house. If it's worthy then my grand daughter can sell it after I die.

Well thought out plan. Again, congratulations, and I sincerely hope this variety becomes hot as blazes for you. Not my cup o' tea, but I recognize the rush you're feeling. At the end of the day, demand is what drives value. Somebody will want to sell it someday. We're all just temporary custodians, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,231 posts
6 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

And I would only use NGC also if I could afford it. 

Re: affording it. As you develop a healthy and trusting relationship with another collector, maybe you can "piggyback" on one of their submissions. I have done this a few times, but it WAS with a fellow collector in "meatspace", not cyberspace. One coin I took to a show for a friend for NGC slabbing came back so high graded that my son remarked while looking at it, "Dad, do you realize this coin is worth, like, 3 times as much as this car?" And so it was.

Edited by VKurtB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Re: affording it. As you develop a healthy and trusting relationship with another collector, maybe you can "piggyback" on one of their submissions. I have done this a few times, but it WAS with a fellow collector in "meatspace", not cyberspace. One coin I took to a show for a friend for NGC slabbing came back so high graded that my son remarked while looking at it, "Dad, do you realize this coin is worth, like, 3 times as much as this car?" And so it was.

That would be a nice surprise. I have a rather nice collection,imo, of random coins and likely have quite of bit of value to them. It's just that there isn't anyone near me to show them to and get any type of opinion about. Charleston, WV is a very lonely place for a new coin collector. There are 2 clubs but I was told they are only interested in trading amongst themselves and would rather not answer silly questions or help someone value a collection. Just too time consuming they said. So one day when it is passed down it will be someone else's issue. In the meantime I will continue to buy 6 or 7 coins or sets a year and they will grow in value as we both age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,231 posts
10 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

That would be a nice surprise. I have a rather nice collection,imo, of random coins and likely have quite of bit of value to them. It's just that there isn't anyone near me to show them to and get any type of opinion about. Charleston, WV is a very lonely place for a new coin collector. There are 2 clubs but I was told they are only interested in trading amongst themselves and would rather not answer silly questions or help someone value a collection. Just too time consuming they said. So one day when it is passed down it will be someone else's issue. In the meantime I will continue to buy 6 or 7 coins or sets a year and they will grow in value as we both age. 

I've been through Charleston, WV several times, and even stopped for the night just shy of two years ago, on my way to Carbondale, IL for the total eclipse in 2017. I'd still recommend checking out those coin clubs, to AT FIRST, sit, listen, and figure out for yourself what they're all about. It only takes one friendly person to expand your base, after all. All you'll have invested is an evening. BTW,  I love the main street, where the capitol is. Very attractive. I work in MY state capitol building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
848 posts
4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I've been through Charleston, WV several times, and even stopped for the night just shy of two years ago, on my way to Carbondale, IL for the total eclipse in 2017. I'd still recommend checking out those coin clubs, to AT FIRST, sit, listen, and figure out for yourself what they're all about. It only takes one friendly person to expand your base, after all. All you'll have invested is an evening. BTW,  I love the main street, where the capitol is. Very attractive. I work in MY state capitol building.

I do love my city, and yes our Capitol Bldg is beautiful. It is one of only a few with the dome, and ours has the gold leaf. They are currently painting it and it has what looks like a giant condom around it. Last time a guy fell from it and didn't die. Poor guy. I knew him and his life was terrible after. Get back on subject Karen!  I have thought about the clubs. Only recently found out when and where they meet. Believe it or not I am kind of shy and afraid to go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1