• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1989 with 1988 reverse
1 1

5 posts in this topic

What do you guy's think about this. Also interesting. The fg is really thin. I guess it's being told there looking for an 89 with 88 reverse. Hmmmm.  What a cool find.😎

20190727_174501.jpg

20190727_174621.jpg

As I had mentioned to you on a previous post, there is no such variety as a 1988 reverse on a 1989 coin.

What you have is a 1989 Reverse that has probably had the die polished which has reduced the thickness of the initials.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

29 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

As I had mentioned to you on a previous post, there is no such variety as a 1988 reverse on a 1989 coin.

What you have is a 1989 Reverse that has probably had the die polished which has reduced the thickness of the initials.

Thanks Greenstang, I understand  what you're saying. I don't believe there is an 89 with 88 reverse. Like I mentioned in the previous post,  that is just very odd. There saying they ran out of the 88s and and put on a few of the 89 reverse. If you're thinking what I'm thinking that would be impossible for them to do that. But there saying there could  be that chance. Alot going on with what there saying about that. But you're right the G is thinned out. I might here this or that somewhere else, but I get way better knowledge on here. That's why I post on here because I get the correct answer's. 

5 hours ago, Hinkle said:

There saying they ran out of the 88s and and put on a few of the 89 reverse. If you're thinking what I'm thinking that would be impossible for them to do that.

No it is not impossible.  Toward the end of the year the mint starts making and stockpiling dies for the coming year so in late 1988 there were both 1988 reverses and 1989 reverses on hand. And in some cases they are striking a stockpiling coins for the next year as well.  So both year of dies were in use at the same time.  At some point a pressman making 1988 cents needed a new rev die and was given a 1989 rev die.  There is plenty of precident for it happening.  For example the 1992 cents with the Close AM reverses intended for 1993.  A much more noticeable difference than that between the 1988 and 89 reverses, but it happened.

Edited by Conder101