• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1847 Seated Liberty cc

5 posts in this topic

Ok, I think  I just got my first fake coin. I didn't  realize when I got it that 1847 were not minted in CC. 

Oddly enough, it passed the sound  test but fell short in the scale test and size. 

Also, the damage  on the reverse  upper left side. I should  have know just by looking  at that. 

Please help. 

20190727_140541.jpg

20190727_140551.jpg

Your right, it is counterfeit and not even a good one. Carson City didn't start minting until 1870 plus the fact that the "IN GOD WE TRUST" ribbon on the reverse wasn't introduced until1866. Before that it was plain in that area

I don't want to come across as harsh or preachy, but this could have been easily avoided. I hope you didn't pay much for that coin, because a quick glance at a Redbook would have been all that was needed to let you know that this coin is fake. If you don't own one, I suggest buying one before you purchase any more coins.

4 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Your right, it is counterfeit and not even a good one. Carson City didn't start minting until 1870 plus the fact that the "IN GOD WE TRUST" ribbon on the reverse wasn't introduced until1866. Before that it was plain in that area

Thank you for that info Greenstang

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I don't want to come across as harsh or preachy, but this could have been easily avoided. I hope you didn't pay much for that coin, because a quick glance at a Redbook would have been all that was needed to let you know that this coin is fake. If you don't own one, I suggest buying one before you purchase any more coins.

are you referring about this? Book @Just Bob?

You are always harsh and preachy lol  but it is ok. you are trying to enlighten us and teach us to be better collectors and pay attention to detail like we should. I for one appreciate it :D . Thank you. 

I don't how much would be too much but I think the price was too good to be true, which should have been the first red flag. 

20190727_182130.jpg