• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OLD CC COIN BAGS ON EBAY

7 posts in this topic

I saw several U.S. mint bags for 1000 silver dollars on Ebay today. One from Carson City and one for Philadelphia. Are they really worth $400.00 each? The auction is not up until August 4, so they may go higher. There are no coins in them, They are empty. Am I missing something?

Evidently, original Carson City bags are in demand. The one I saw had 9 bids, by 7 different bidders, and was at $403, with 8 days to go.

Years ago I saw a CC bag go for over $1000, so that one will probably go higher yet.  Back in 1972 at the start of the GSA sales they said that they would also be selling the bags the hoard came in.  I always waited and watched for that sale but as far as I know they never publicly sold them.  The claim in the auction that he bought it for the GSA is the first inkling that the GSA may have actually sold them, but if so I have no idea what method they used.  Who knows, they may have just dumped them in one of their surplus government property sales.