California Gold
1 1

13 posts in this topic

8 posts

I recently purchase a 1849 Indian Head California Gold fractional coin. Any and all information about such a coin would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 posts

Yes Mark, I should have waited until it arrives to make this post. I’ll get pics when it arrives next week and repost. It does have some old style PVC contamination from the old style holders. For now on the reverse it has a sunrise with a Bear below and wreath around at the top left to right it says California Gold and bottom center 1849. The obverse is a Indian chief very similar to the early 1900’s IH gold coins.

Thanks

Edited by getxman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,865 posts
1 hour ago, getxman said:

Yes Mark, I should have waited until it arrives to make this post. I’ll get pics when it arrives next week and repost. It does have some old style PVC contamination from the old style holders. For now on the reverse it has a sunrise with a Bear below and wreath around at the top left to right it says California Gold and bottom center 1849. The obverse is a Indian chief very similar to the early 1900’s IH gold coins.

Thanks

The fact that it has a bear on the reverse and the lack of a denomination, tells me it’s a token of some sort and not a genuine California fractional gold piece.

Edited by MarkFeld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,678 posts

Best advice would be to returnit and get your money back.  In general these fantacy tokens a usually gold plated brass and worth about 50 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 posts

Mark Feld

On 7/24/2019 at 7:33 PM, MarkFeld said:

The fact that it has a bear on the reverse and the lack of a denomination, tells me it’s a token of some sort and not a genuine California fractional gold piece.

Here are some pics of the token. It seems very UNC and does have weight to it. Corrosion is very evident on the rim that tells me it may be plated. While not a total loss it came with an AU 1860 S $3 gold piece I also purchased. Thanks again for your help on this token.

3BD4FF62-1375-45AB-BC5A-0A4DF2E9C10F.jpeg

10BFF9F0-25AE-49B7-ACCB-DB843FA89BD8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,865 posts
1 hour ago, getxman said:

Mark Feld

Here are some pics of the token. It seems very UNC and does have weight to it. Corrosion is very evident on the rim that tells me it may be plated. While not a total loss it came with an AU 1860 S $3 gold piece I also purchased. Thanks again for your help on this token.

3BD4FF62-1375-45AB-BC5A-0A4DF2E9C10F.jpeg

10BFF9F0-25AE-49B7-ACCB-DB843FA89BD8.jpeg

Happy to try to help. Hopefully, the 1860-S $3 made the deal worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 posts

Most of us Beav? I just started trying to acquire the $3 gold pieces last year. I found they are very tough to come across and very difficult to purchase if you happen upon one available. Pics are from an IPhone and not the best of clarity.4EBBBBD9-6011-4687-8F56-65F863399F67.jpeg.706ad58de7fbf0edb2114f224fa5dd49.jpegAB136A79-4D4B-49C6-9739-7CC743EB558D.thumb.jpeg.1df02d8937912a4711d85b2188f53338.jpeg

Edited by getxman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,593 posts

Very cool.....With a mintage of ONLY 7000, I can't imagine how many of these are left.

Yes, most of us like them, although probably not many of us collect them......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 posts

Ah yes, what makes the 1860 S unique is they pulled around 2,600 of them for low weight and melted them down in 1869. Leaving around 4,400 in circulation. Being minted in San Francisco you wonder how many made it to the east coast. Currently I think only 144 have been graded. It was a fun find and purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1