• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1922 no "D"?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hey peeps I have the day off, no kid, no old lady and screw the house work (until tomorrow..lol). Any ways I was sifting through some old coins I picked up many, many moons ago in VA at a old yard/barn sale and I notice this a 1922/no D? I been soaking the coin in olive oil hoping for the heavy tarnish material falls off. I notice heavy damage/corrosion to the coin. So I took some photos of it under a electric microscope. What does the community think?

WIN_20190723_10_31_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190723_10_33_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190723_10_33_35_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190723_10_33_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190723_10_33_44_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190723_10_34_06_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190723_10_34_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190723_10_34_12_Pro.jpg

With coin so worn and corroded it is hard to see any of the markers for a no "D". I think I see what might be a sign of a weak "D" but again I can't be positive.

1922 no D.jpg

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

4 hours ago, Greenstang said:

With coin so worn and corroded it is hard to see any of the markers for a no "D". I think I see what might be a sign of a weak "D" but again I can't be positive.

1922 no D.jpg

I focused on that area as well and I couldn't find any "grinding marks" then again maybe I missed something and you spotted something. Unfortunately the heavy corrosion is terrible and I am not sure If NGC or any TPG will take a chance and certify it. The electron scope was around 70% magnification any more and the photos get blurry. Thanks for the input.  

and I couldn't find any "grinding marks"

There would be no grinding marks on a weak D. It was minted (overpolished?) with a very shallow D thus the variety known as a "Weak D"

Edited by Greenstang
Add Copy

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

There would be no grinding marks on a weak D. It was minted (overpolished?) with a very shallow D thus the variety known as a "Weak D"

Ahhhh good look! Now I understand what you’re saying. I might send it out for verification. Thanks

The date looks correct but I would need to see more of the coin in hand to id the die pair.  Given the condition I'd send it to ANACS for verification purposes as its less expensive, even if its the desirable die pair #2 the environmental damage limits the value.

9 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

The date looks correct but I would need to see more of the coin in hand to id the die pair.  Given the condition I'd send it to ANACS for verification purposes as its less expensive, even if its the desirable die pair #2 the environmental damage limits the value.

Actually I never thought about that. I only go through NGC when it comes to TPG. I checked out ANACS and they seem legit and extremely fair in price. Again thanks for the input and help, much respect!!! 

-So much of our time is preparation, so much is routine, and so much retrospect, that the path of each man's genius contracts itself to a very few hours.-

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It has potential.  As mentioned the date looks right and the reverse looks like it would be the strong rev for die pair 2.  But I couldn't gurantee anything from the pictures.