• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

11 yr old Newbie

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, I am Eleven yrs old and my stepfather got me into coin-collecting. I just was wanting to ask some questions on like how to start, and what I can do to see how I can be better. Yeah I'm a noob!

Hey Josh, welcome to the boards! There are a ton of very knowledgeable people here that are always willing to lend a hand. If you are just starting out I would take some time and explore the things that interest you. Do not be too worried about focusing on something specific but rather just explore whatever catches your eye. Do you currently have a particular coin that really interests you? I got my start with mercury dimes, and now 20 years later, my interests have shifted considerably. 

The best advice I can give is to collect what you like and do plenty of research!! Check out the values, mintage figures, and history of the coins you think are cool. 

Thank you, the coins Im looking at are old penny's and for the errors, and the quarters particular the new ones on like the W's. Thanks again for the offer on helping me.

4 hours ago, Josh07 said:

Thank you, the coins Im looking at are old penny's and for the errors, and the quarters particular the new ones on like the W's. Thanks again for the offer on helping me.

YNs--Young Numismatists--are widely believed to be the essential lifeblood of the hobby. Without you and your contemporaries, it doesn't continue. I don't know any coin collector worth a dateless Buffalo who won't take time to help the younger hobbyists grow their understanding of numismatics. So, very glad to see you, and ask away with any questions.

19 hours ago, Josh07 said:

Hey Guys, I am Eleven yrs old and my stepfather got me into coin-collecting. I just was wanting to ask some questions on like how to start, and what I can do to see how I can be better. Yeah I'm a noob!

Welcome to the forum.

A few words of advice:

There is a saying in this hobby: "Buy the book before the coin." It means that, before you start spending money on coins, you should gain as much knowledge as possible about what you intend to buy. That is not always easy to do, especially when you see Youtube videos telling you that there are coins out there just waiting for you to find and become rich. Trust me - taking your time and learning as much as possible will save you time, money, and heartache, in the long run.

Since I mentioned Youtube, let me also add that Youtube is not a good place to learn about coins. Yes, there are some very educational videos on there, but there are also many that are put there just to get views, and those are often filled with confusing, misleading, or incorrect information.

There is a good thread in the What You Need to Know section of this forum that deals with inherited collections, but it is also good if you are just starting out. I highly recommend that you, and Emicoins, and anyone else just getting into numismatics take some time and look it over, along with some of the other WYNK threads.

Click here for a link to the thread.

If you have questions about particular coins, or just coin collecting in general, feel free to ask.

14 hours ago, EmiCoins said:

Hi! I’m 12 years old and inherited my Grandpa’s collection and I am a YN. I collect mostly Roman coins and Silver Dollars.

Congrats, EmiCoins. We have several ancient collectors here, myself included, so you should find ready assistance here. Do you have a copy of Aorta by Rasiel Suarez? It is the most economic Roman coin reference out there for what it contains (which is tons).