• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 nickel DDR error

8 posts in this topic

This is a 1961 Jefferson nickel with DDR in Monticello and other areas of the coin. It's almost proof like, but it's not a proof. Anyone think I should get it graded? Let me know thanks 

20190707_115004.jpg

Edited by Krzycoins
Add pictures

Hi Krzycoins,

Well, in looking at your photos, I do not see anything that would indicate a doubled die.  Closer up pictures would help for sure, but my guess is that your coin has machine doubling on it rather than it being a true doubled die.  Machine doubling is extremely common on US coins from about the middle of the 1950's through the 1970's.  I also checked NGC's Variety Plus and they have nothing listed for a 1961 DDR, which further confirms my suspicions of machine doubling.  I don't know if I've posted this in one of my replies to you yet (please forgive me if I have), but our hosts have a great article which explains the differences between machine doubling and doubled dies here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

In considering all of this, I would not have your coin graded. 

Sorry the news wasn't better.  I hope that this is of at least some help to you!

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk
Typo, of course

Thanks for the closer up photos Krzycoins.  That confirms it to me.....definite machine doubling.  If you look closely, you'll notice the shelf-like nature of the doubling.....that is a textbook diagnostic of machine doubling.  If you check out the article I posted a link to in my previous reply, all of this is explained there in a much better way than I could ever accomplish. 

5 minutes ago, Krzycoins said:

Thanks that helped 

No problem.  Glad that it was helpful.  Better luck next time!!