• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC hologram damaged - effect the value?

23 posts in this topic

I pulled out my 1927 St. Gaudens from storage and found the NGC hologram on the back was worn.  Does this effect the value if I try to sell it?

I was thinking about posting it for sale but don't know if I should/could get it fixed..  Thanks in advance.

2019-07-06 12.47.25.jpg

12 hours ago, jgrinz said:

PLUS insurance … 

Do you think it would have an impact on the value if it is a relatively common date for Double Eagles?  Assuming it's a Philadelphia issue. 

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

And another no line fattie is gone.

You would notice that of course

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I had that same thought. I would have left it alone.

I would have expected it to bring a slight premium in the old holder.

Oh, well, maybe it will upgrade.

Edited by Just Bob

13 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I had that same thought. I would have left it alone.

I would have expected it to bring a slight premium in the old holder.

Oh, well, maybe it will upgrade.

I had the same thought as well. I didn’t respond because I thought the OP had already sent it in. The holograms on the no line fattie holders are more often than not damaged. This should not negatively impact the value of the coin and the older holder may even command a slight premium under certain circumstances. I personally would leave it as it is. 

15 minutes ago, dreinking said:

I haven't sent it in to NGC yet... I would rather just sell it the way it is, that's if there is a market for it the way it is. 

May we see a picture of the front of the slab?

That's a nice looking Saint.

Your coin - your decision, but I would leave it in that holder if it belonged to me.The messed up label will not affect the price.

9 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Your coin - your decision, but I would leave it in that holder if it belonged to me.The messed up label will not affect the price.

I think that holder is worth preserving, honestly.  I agree with Bob, I'd leave it alone.  Even with the messed up hologram, it's still an old school, no line fattie holder, which many collectors seek out and aim to preserve. 

Thank you Just Bob, Collectosaurus Rex and Mohawk.  I am going to leave it be.  Saves money, time and I like the idea of keeping old stuff old. 

You've all been great.  Thanks again for taking the time.

Dave

2 minutes ago, dreinking said:

Thank you Just Bob, Collectosaurus Rex and Mohawk.  I am going to leave it be.  Saves money, time and I like the idea of keeping old stuff old. 

You've all been great.  Thanks again for taking the time.

Dave

No problem Dave, glad to help.  And I'm pleased to hear that you're going to preserve your no-line fattie. 

~Tom

17 hours ago, Conder101 said:

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I think that holder is worth preserving, honestly.  I agree with Bob, I'd leave it alone.  Even with the messed up hologram, it's still an old school, no line fattie holder, which many collectors seek out and aim to preserve. 

And this is why you always, always check the credentials / history of the person offering advice.  Lol

Conder, Bob, and Mohawk are gold!

Edited by Thompson2

The damaged hologram won't affect the value of the COIN, but if the hologram had been pristine that might have added a small premium.  Not much because the fact that it is a double eagle and the coins value overwhelms most other considerations.  If it had been a lower value coin, a pristine hologram premium would probably be more noticeable..