Should I submit this coin? Possible error.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

70 posts

My grandpa recently gave me this 1858 Spanish 5 escudo cents and I noticed some nice doubling on the reverse. Should I submit it?

IMG-1506.JPG

IMG-1507.JPG

IMG-1508.JPG

5,150 posts

Even with the doubling, and the fact that the 1858 is one of the pricier years, I don't think it would be worth the expense of having it graded (plus shipping both ways) given its worn condition.

Just my opinion, of course.

628 posts

Although interesting, I would not send this coin in for grading. It is very worn and shows signs of environmental damage. The doubling is cool, but often times this type of thing is not very popular among world coin collectors. However, I do not collect Spanish coins so I can not speak to that market specifically. 

2,866 posts
1 hour ago, coinsandmedals said:

Although interesting, I would not send this coin in for grading. It is very worn and shows signs of environmental damage. The doubling is cool, but often times this type of thing is not very popular among world coin collectors. However, I do not collect Spanish coins so I can not speak to that market specifically. 

I'm with you Don.  It's an interesting coin and it's definitely a doubled die, but it's in rough shape.  I don't think it'd be worth the expense based on those factors but, like you, I'm not well versed in the market for Spanish coins and I feel I should mention that as well.

70 posts

The green is not slimy, but I do think it’s environmental damage. I’ll take the coin to a dealer here and see what he says. Thanks everyone.

628 posts

Given the unnatural dark color and pitted fields, I would say the coin definitely has environmental damage. My first reaction to the green was verdigris.