• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1858 flying eagle one cent question
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out what is small letters, and large letters. These two coins have a lot of wear. Got on line and the only way to tell between the two is by the A and tail feathers. I'm thinking the right coin is small, and left is large. But the coin on left has wide AM witch would be small. The right coin has close AM, that would be large. but thinking it's the wear making it look like that. Hmmmm, what would be your thoughts. 🤔🧐

20190626_072438.jpg

Just eyeballing them, without even looking up the definition of the variants or doing any research of any sort, I can see that the legend letters on the coin on the right are notably larger than those of the left-hand coin. So I'd draw the logical conclusion.

4 minutes ago, JKK said:

Just eyeballing them, without even looking up the definition of the variants or doing any research of any sort, I can see that the legend letters on the coin on the right are notably larger than those of the left-hand coin. So I'd draw the logical conclusion.

Thanks JKK, I was thinking the same. By looking it up there saying it's small letters. It's actually kind of backwards on these. That's what has me confused. Still researching these. Idk if it's the photos on line or my two coins that's playing tricks on me. Lol.😁

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Left coin is Small Letter, right coin is Large Letter

Thank you ,I'm going with you and JKK. I'm placing them in the correct spot in my album. I paid 20 bucks on this album and scanning through for any errors. But alot of slots need to be filled. Mainly the key dates are missing. I have the 1857-1909 album. 

Greenstang is correct.

There really isn't a size difference between the large and small letters.  The difference is in the AM of AMERICA.  On the small letters the letters are seperated and the letters are all "upright".  On the large letters the AM are joined at the base and the A is rotated slightly counterclockwise.

33 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Greenstang is correct.

There really isn't a size difference between the large and small letters.  The difference is in the AM of AMERICA.  On the small letters the letters are seperated and the letters are all "upright".  On the large letters the AM are joined at the base and the A is rotated slightly counterclockwise.

Man, thank you conder101 for that advice. Never would have looked at it that way. I learn something new every day. I was looking at the bottom A and the tail feathers . How there is a space between them. Idk why but it was kind of funky to me.😀😁