• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Marks

5 posts in this topic

I’ve had several coins come back from Certification with “Wheel Marks” and “Reverse Wheel Marks” being noted as the reason for giving the coin an “Uncirculated Details” grade. Where do these marks come from? Are they an attempt to clean the coin? I never heard of this critique before. Did these Marks get caused by the coin counters at the mint? I can’t sell a coin with a “Details” grade. Very frustrating to pay for grading and conservation fees, only to get a coin that I cannot sell.

• Administrator

Thank you for your question.

Wheel Marks occur when a coin-counting machine has left a concentrated series of hairlines or a highly polished spot.  This may be narrowed down to specify OBV wheelmark or REV wheelmark.

Thank you,

Lisa

Are wheel marks a severe enough flaw to disqualify a coin from receiving a grade? They should be treated as a scratch and reduce the grade of the coin. I feel cheated by NGC’s policy of assigning “Details” classification to coins with wheel Marks from counting machines. I wonder what PCGS does with wheel marks?