• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLEASE I need your input on this 1889-CC Morgan.

5 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

AU 53, and I am on the fence on the toning.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Bob.  In another thread that Sue posted about this coin, I told her that I thought it had been cleaned and that was what caused the toning.  It also could have been artificial toning, but I'm still going to vote cleaned.  That color.....it just doesn't look right to me.

10 minutes ago, J&B 5858 said:

Thanks for your input ... what is your concern about the toning?  

As I said before, it doesn't look natural.  Though I do not collect Morgans and I'm not an expert in them, I did formerly work in a brick and mortar coin shop, so I have seen a lot of Morgans, including toned ones.  Naturally toned Morgans have a completely different look than your coin.  I can't explain it anymore than that.  I'd recommend looking up toned Morgans on the Internet browser of your choice and look at examples certified by NGC, PCGS and ANACS.  Hopefully, you'll see what I mean.  As I said before, I strongly feel that your coin was cleaned with a chemical agent at some point and the coloration on your coin is a result of that cleaning.