• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005 d penny straight lines on coin

11 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 d penny and it's extremely fine condition. except for on the obverse side of the coin there are straight lines completely covering the entire coin horizontally. All of these lines cover the field and the head and body of Lincoln and they are very symmetrical they are spaced evenly apart every one of them.

These lines are also in between all the lettering even the mint mark. Inside of the d you can see the line. On the reverse side the lines start basically at 2 and go to 8 at that angle instead of being perfectly horizontal. These lines are also evenly spaced apart and cover the entire reverse. as far as I can tell with my magnifying glass the lines on the reverse do not cross the over the lettering.What is it? Thank you for your help. Sorry no pic right now.

Edited by Spirit777
Forgot to add one detail

I just mentioned in my post I don't have pics and I don't know how to get the pics from my phone to The forum and on top of that they're not going to be clear enough because I have an inexpensive phone. I've already tried taking pictures with it and they are not clear enough.

The problem is that without pictures we can't say what it is.  Could be planchet striations, linear plating bubbles, damage, feed finger damage, etc

Yeah I know it's a pain without a picture. but you gave me some names of what it could be so I will look it up on YouTube and online elsewhere. Thank you I appreciate it.

This video shows what my coin is except without the bubble. he shows a coin on there that has the striations and he mentions that he's had coins where the linear lines go all the way across the coin. he says that it doesn't add any value to the coin at all. Is this not considered a mint error?

3 hours ago, Spirit777 said:

I just mentioned in my post I don't have pics and I don't know how to get the pics from my phone to The forum and on top of that they're not going to be clear enough because I have an inexpensive phone. I've already tried taking pictures with it and they are not clear enough.

All you said was "sorry no pic right now." I was conveying to you, without going into elaborate detail, that without pics there is very little we can do. They are a necessary part of the evaluation of any specific coin, a fact one can like or dislike without changing it. I did not want to go into detail because, frankly, I was trying to be gentle. But all right.

7 hours ago, JKK said:

All you said was "sorry no pic right now." I was conveying to you, without going into elaborate detail, that without pics there is very little we can do. They are a necessary part of the evaluation of any specific coin, a fact one can like or dislike without changing it. I did not want to go into detail because, frankly, I was trying to be gentle. But all right.

Exactly.  What people need to realize is that written and verbal descriptions of coins without pictures are completely useless when it comes to discerning anything about an individual coin.  If you want help, good pictures are an absolute necessity.   Without them, there is absolutely nothing we can do for you.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

12 hours ago, Spirit777 said:

In that case you'll need to seek out a local dealer to answer questions related to a specific coin.  But don't fret!  The forums here can be a great source of general information even if not specific to the one you have.

59 minutes ago, Spirit777 said:

Thank u craw. Conder101 gave me exactly what I needed. he gave me names of what it could be so I knew precisely what to look up. 

I'm glad that Conder was able to help you to move in the right direction.  He's good like that.  Good luck with your hunting!