• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof

9 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Mid range Mint State with some semi-proof like surface.

Thanks! I also have a 1921s not sure variety but from things I read and see seems like a pretty good coin to holder 

11 hours ago, Mason254 said:

How would you rate this 1900 proof?

20190601_002252.jpg

20190601_002407.jpg

As a business strike.

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

As a business strike.

Really! So uncirculated business strike! I was reading an article in coin week and pcgs pertaining 1900 P Morgan apparently the1885 0 and the 1900 P may not be so common in gem quality!So what is gem quality?I noticed while searching HA and Stack's just to name a couple out of many I've searched is a contradicting topic!

22 minutes ago, Mason254 said:

Really! So uncirculated business strike! I was reading an article in coin week and pcgs pertaining 1900 P Morgan apparently the1885 0 and the 1900 P may not be so common in gem quality!So what is gem quality?I noticed while searching HA and Stack's just to name a couple out of many I've searched is a contradicting topic!

Hmmm, I think there may be some confusion here. Mohawk was saying that the coin is mint state in that it is not a proof. To be clear, do you know the difference between a business strike coin and a proof? No harm if you do not, but I am sure just about anyone here will be more than happy to help clarify the difference for you. Secondly, mint state is simply a term used for a coin that reflects an uncirculated state of preservation (i.e. MS-60 to MS-70). A “Gem Uncirculated” example is usually considered to be a coin grading MS-65 or better. With that said, I would personally grade your coin around an MS-63. If you do not already have one, I would consider picking up a Red Book. It has some very good information for someone just starting out. 

27 minutes ago, Mason254 said:

GEM is for coins that would grade 65-70 on the Sheldon scale.  Prior to the TPG industry adjectival grades were the norm.  I try to use them still for eBay listings of raw coins but sadly I don't think many of the newer buyers have taken the time to discern that CHOICE simply means uncirculated - doesn't mean it's a beautiful coin in hand.  Nice discussions to be had regarding poor planchet quality, weak strikes, and dies used well past their prime (VLDS) of some 40's Jefferson Nickel dates (I'm looking at you San Francisco, there's a reason why you got converted to proof production only).

From our host's domain:  https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/adjectival-grades/

Edited by CRAWTOMATIC

5 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

Hmmm, I think there may be some confusion here. Mohawk was saying that the coin is mint state in that it is not a proof. To be clear, do you know the difference between a business strike coin and a proof? No harm if you do not, but I am sure just about anyone here will be more than happy to help clarify the difference for you. Secondly, mint state is simply a term used for a coin that reflects an uncirculated state of preservation (i.e. MS-60 to MS-70). A “Gem Uncirculated” example is usually considered to be a coin grading MS-65 or better. With that said, I would personally grade your coin around an MS-63. If you do not already have one, I would consider picking up a Red Book. It has some very good information for someone just starting out. 

Thank you no I was not aware of the actual differences in the two I see so many pics of what some may be graded at 65 or 66 and some of 60+-64+ and some of the lower grades appearance is better than some of the higher grades so it's been a bit confusing I admit 

1 minute ago, Mason254 said:

Thank you no I was not aware of the actual differences in the two I see so many pics of what some may be graded at 65 or 66 and some of 60+-64+ and some of the lower grades appearance is better than some of the higher grades so it's been a bit confusing I admit 

Sounds like you may be seeing the difference between technical grades and eye appeal.  Eye appeal is slightly more subjective (personal opinion) but still holds merit.

Here is a compilation of a grading compendium written by David Lange (you'll see him reply every so often on these forums) https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading-guide/

And here is a brief version of what that actual numeric grades are meant to represent:  https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/