• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof 1970 D Nickel. Yes Denver?

8 posts in this topic

Looks like a business strike from new dies, maybe. I don't think it would qualify for the "proof like" designation, since the fields are not really reflective, at least from what I can tell by looking at the pictures.  Nice looking coin, though.

That's an interesting coin TON Collection......I remember years ago, I actually had one of the few 1970-D Kennedy Half Dollars which was attributed as a DPL by NGC and it looked similar to your nickel but it was more reflective, based on the photos you have provided.  So, I'd say that a PL 1970-D Nickel is absolutely possible.  At any rate, your coin is easily the most appealing 1970-D Jefferson Nickel I've ever seen, and selling modern US coins, I've seen a lot.  Pretty nice find even if it doesn't qualify for PL or DPL.  In my mind, it should Star grade easily if you submit it, though.

Now if we can get a clear picture of the Monticello steps.

Do not know what the haze is below E Pluribus ( Might be photographic anomaly ) 

PL is possiblilty - You nickel guys ... is it worth it ??

Nickel.jpg

13 hours ago, Mohawk said:

That's an interesting coin TON Collection......I remember years ago, I actually had one of the few 1970-D Kennedy Half Dollars which was attributed as a DPL by NGC and it looked similar to your nickel but it was more reflective, based on the photos you have provided.  So, I'd say that a PL 1970-D Nickel is absolutely possible.  At any rate, your coin is easily the most appealing 1970-D Jefferson Nickel I've ever seen, and selling modern US coins, I've seen a lot.  Pretty nice find even if it doesn't qualify for PL or DPL.  In my mind, it should Star grade easily if you submit it, though.

Yeah, when I saw it yesterday I was like, "oooh, I want it".  Let's see some more pics of the reverse!

Hey, I just stumbled onto this topic after searching for the words 1970D Nickel Proof.  I was going through my Grandpa’s coins, and among the nickels, there was a roll (one of those kinds you get from the bank that have rolled ends). It was marked 1970D and U for uncirculated.  The coins visible at the ends looked really prooflike so I opened the roll (I worry that was a mistake now).  Anyway, the coins inside are deeply mirrored and really do look like proofs. Here are some photos.  

What do you guys think?  

6CC49A31-D589-4C8B-AEA1-A88C3B4C066B.jpeg

855C63E9-E96D-4083-8E9A-C9ECE03AF1B4.jpeg

241AA927-8FC2-4F8F-9C0E-436425C754F8.jpeg

FF00A283-1DB5-461C-9CBF-CC711176E73C.jpeg