• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would this grade at?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys...wondering what you’d think this 1871 W2 cent would grade at? It’s not my coin. I really enjoy the 2 cent pieces and don’t have one of this date yet...just looking to see if it’d be worth buying and submitting to grade (depending on price) Thanks.

6AF800F8-AF3A-460E-9D09-80825D4CE985.png

The details look EF-40 to me, but that scratch on the reverse has an impact. Not sure how much, or whether it would slab. Maybe it's the photo, but the color looks odd for a 2c.

23 minutes ago, Davids5104 said:

I tend to agree on the color being odd.  I would expect a browner look. 

While I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on old US copper, I do have experience with copper coins of this era from other countries and I agree that the color does look a bit off to me as well.  I'd expect more of a chocolate brown look, but this coin looks almost grey.....I'm wondering if we're looking at an old clean here.  That'd be my theory on this one.

The gouge on the reverse is distracting, and there is something going on in the middle of the shield that I can't make out on my phone. I don't know what your budget is, but you can pick up a certified XF at the moment less than $200, and a VF for around $100. Since this one may get a "details" grade, I would pass, if it were me.