• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading a Uniface Trial

4 posts in this topic

Does the opposing face of a uniface trial affect the grade, or are uniface trials considered to have only one gradable face?

I ask because not infrequently uniface trials have writing scrawled on them relating to planchet composition, type identification, etc. by the original minting authority. On a coin this would be graffiti, but on a uniface trial it can lend authenticity and be used to establish pedigree.

• Administrator

If there is nothing on the reverse, it is usually ignored for the purposes of grading, unless there is something very detrimental like a large scratch. As to the writing, it would be near impossible to verify, so it might just get called graffiti.

In this case, I have auction records showing examples of a full set of uniface trials for one commemorative event. All known trials from this event have writing on the unused faces. This may not be iron clad proof, but it is highly compelling evidence as this was not an uncommon practice.

Would you suggest I submit copies of these supporting records with the trial?