• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convert Y# to KM#

5 posts in this topic

It isn't really possible.  I started collecting foreigns back in 1972 and both Yeoman and Krause have renumbered the countries several times.  You would have to have several different Y# to current KM # tables and you would need to know when that Y# was assigned to know which table to use.  For example I know Yeoman renumbered Columbia at least four times, once two years in a row.  So depending when it was cataloged you could have four differnt Y numbers for the same coin.  The only thing you can do is re-catalog the coins using the latest Krause book.  There is no short cut.

I didn't realize the there was a red book for world coins. I see there are mixed reviews on it - mostly because it is not complete and is also limited in scope. I'm not that crazy about Krause either, but it is a good reference in general terms. I wouldn't use Krause for valuation. But that's me. 

Same person but not a "Redbook" as such.  It was actually two books Coins of the World (It was sometimes called The Brown Book.) that covered coins from 1860 to 1964 and Modern Coins of the World from 1964 to date (The White Book).  Unlike the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins the Yeoman books only listed the coins by type.  They didn't break them down by individual dates within the type and usually only listed price in one or two grades.