• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 D penny 3.4 Grams ? (chubby Lincoln) *UPDATE!*

1 post in this topic

Hello everyone!

I have this  very pretty 1973 D penny that weights 3.4 grams, Lincoln is thick feeling and there seems to be double die down his back (don't know if the dd is visible to you guys but I see it on my scope and in correct lighting). I also noted rim issues to the west and misplaced mint mark. Any thoughts what would make my coin thick-ish? High relief maybe, or double die Lincoln? Your help is appreciated!

*UPDATE*

Oh my, guys! I must have been in a rush when I looked at my coin under microscope or had the lighting wrong.. because, I wish you could see this coin up close on a digi scope ( I have old fashion one lol) but, looking at it now, there are beautiful rays bouncing off his backside, plus entire Lincolns back, date, in god we trust, liberty is double died! and-- the D mint is punched over a smaller D, the smaller D is north-west under big D. His cheekbone is super thick and forward and his face is set forward (actually lots is forward "east"), and a cud on his face. What do you guys think? Maybe the double die is why he's so thick and over grams?

1973 D Penny Chubby Example of normal and mine small image.png

Edited by 66GT
Found new info I missed on the coin