• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1888 S Morgan dollar

20 posts in this topic

I don't know how well it would do in grading because I'm not sure whether the dings in prime focal areas would rise to the level of damage, perhaps getting it a details grade. I'd value it at VF-20 or 30 for the details, which in my CV mag says $140; it might have details bordering on EF, but there normally needs to be at least a little residual mint luster for that. All depends on how the cheek and neck scratches might impair perception and value. A dealer would probably offer $70 for it, put it out for $140, and sell it to a regular for $120 is my guess. So, splitting the difference, I can imagine $130 as a ceiling. I have a hard time imagining anyone readily paying more.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

I don't know how well it would do in grading because I'm not sure whether the dings in prime focal areas would rise to the level of damage, perhaps getting it a details grade. I'd value it at VF-20 or 30 for the details, which in my CV mag says $140; it might have details bordering on EF, but there normally needs to be at least a little residual mint luster for that. All depends on how the cheek and neck scratches might impair perception and value. A dealer would probably offer $70 for it, put it out for $140, and sell it to a regular for $120 is my guess. So, splitting the difference, I can imagine $130 as a ceiling. I have a hard time imagining anyone readily paying more.

Awesome, I really appreciate it. That’s what the redbook I ordered says too. 

5 hours ago, B.L.21 said:

Hi, new to coins and was wondering if this is worth the $125 that the redbook says? Also is is worth grading?

Good Afternoon - 

Though it is a good year and mint mark the coin is not worth grading as it will only come back with multiple issues with it. 

The larger of the two being environmental damage which is all the pock marks on liberty's face area.

It has also been cleaned so both items would kick it out of a real grade and not make it worth the cost of certifying.

As for value, 50/60 bux maybe a little more if someone is looking to fill the hole in their collection.

As for grade VF20

1 hour ago, JKK said:

I think Jonathan is right on with his assessment of the coin's condition.  The 1888-S is a scarcer date with Morgans, but I think that your coin has environmental damage and would get a details grade.....I'm thinking VF Details-Environmental Damage if it ever got in front of NGC graders.  But I'd lower the ceiling on the value......I'd say $100, tops.  Even though a Morgan collector on a budget would see this as a hole filler, they likely wouldn't pay a whole lot for it.

44 minutes ago, B.L.21 said:

Awesome, thanks guys. This helps me understand what I’m looking at better with your descriptions. How do I know if it was cleaned?

There are two primary categories of cleaning: physical and chemical.

Physical cleaning--rubbing, essentially, with something abrasive--will leave myriad tiny scratches, either horizontal or circular. A good look under a microscope or a very good magnifier should show these.

Chemical cleaning occurs when it's dipped in anything from ammonia to acids. If done very quickly and the chemical is very well cleaned off, it can be hard to discern; however, most casual or clumsy cleaners (the majority) don't get all the cleaning substance off. Residue will tend to show up under good magnification, mostly around legends and devices where their lame attempts at dry-off missed material that the cloth could not quite catch.

Of course, it's possible to combine the two, potentially leaving both forms of evidence. It doesn't take much to scratch a coin. Rubbing a surface with MS70 (a common cleaning substance) and a q-tip will scratch it up something fierce. We don't normally think of a q-tip as being like sandpaper.

I myself am not convinced that the coin was cleaned; nor am I convinced it was not. With the smallpox on Liberty's face, cleaning might be the least of the coin's issues. But if you can get to a microscope and look it over at 20x or so, you can surely see what evidence remains to see.

I have no Morgans in my collection, so no 1888-S's here :wink:

Edited by Mohawk

1 hour ago, szugelder said:

I have over 100 Morgan's in my collection and I don't have an '88 S ???

Keep hunting - I have ALL of them ( Feel free to click the image below my post ) What is considered Circulation Issues and a couple of oddball

error coins is 105 coins so you should be close. Perhaps you can buy one from the OP :-)

Edited by jgrinz

1 hour ago, jgrinz said:

Funny guy :-)

Thanks, I do try :) 

22 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Keep hunting - I have ALL of them ( Feel free to click the image below my post ) What is considered Circulation Issues and a couple of oddball

error coins is 105 coins so you should be close. Perhaps you can buy one from the OP :-)

Currently, the bulk of the hobby budget is going towards grading, much less going to acquiring. But you're right, the hunt is where the fun is...

But you're right, the hunt is where the fun is...

That is definitely a very fun part of it.  But I like the RIC and Sear attribution part of my Roman collecting and then adding them into my little stock book.  The whole process can be fun.

51 minutes ago, B.L.21 said:

Not gonna lie... been going on a Morgan dollar spending spree on eBay lol

Spending sprees can be fun when you have the funds.....I've been on a Faustina the Younger denarius spree myself.  Just bought another one today on Vcoins, actually.  Enjoy your spree!

9 hours ago, B.L.21 said:

Not gonna lie... been going on a Morgan dollar spending spree on eBay lol

PM what you are looking for as I have a bunch for sale in inventory.

Have fun

j

3 hours ago, jgrinz said:

PM what you are looking for as I have a bunch for sale in inventory.

Have fun

j

Not looking for anything in particular...I bought a 81S MS63 graded for $45 ( thought it was good deal) 79 and 90 both uncirculated. Pretty much whatever catches me eye cheap lol 

AE7A13EE-EF1D-4912-9689-B772434B5356.jpeg

Edited by B.L.21
Add photo