• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clad vs Silver Kennedy Proofs

6 posts in this topic

I believe to distinguish the difference on Kennedy half’s and Ike dollars between 90% - 40% and clad you look at the reeded edge of coin clad will show copper and clad ... as 90% doesn’t show copper at all more of duller looking reeded edge .... 40% shows silver copper silver sandwiched together in that order for 40% coins 

Well, if the sets are intact, the clad and silver proof sets have different insert colors.  Current sets have tan inserts for the clad sets and black for the silver sets.  If the coins are loose, just look at the edges......a silver proof will have a white edge while clad proofs will have a reddish band of copper on the edge.  And, if the coins are certified, the composition will be attributed on the label.

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I knew the copper edge part from way back in 65. Really good to know the layered info about black and brown and white. Now I gotta get out my JFK album and do some checking.

Tissue test. Put a single layer of tissue paper over them.  Clad proofs will appear gray, silver proofs will appear white.  This works whether they are in their original cases or not.  A quick easy test and good if it isn't possible to see the edge or weigh them.