• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Wheat penny, mint error or damage?

12 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Skitzo2346 said:

I beg to differ gentlemen. Definite mint error. Heres mine

16257125040864305996058967555787.jpg

16257125287387813360276195019621.jpg

16257125471493176633918556245509.jpg

Sorry but definitely (PMD). That happened at the place your standing at , not the mint.

Hello Skitzo and welcome to the forum. Your coin is not a mint error. I agree with Condor and Hinkle.  I actually have a LWC that looks similar to yours but there is no way it could have left the Mint in that condition. With all due respect, your damaged Cent is not anywhere close in resemblance to what the OP posted which could, or could not have been, a possible clipped planchant.  

Edited by GBrad

3 minutes ago, GBrad said:

Hello Skitzo and welcome to the forum. Your coin is not a mint error. I agree with Condor and Hinkle.  I actually have a LWC that looks similar to yours but there is no way it could have left the Mint in that condition. 

What is it that makes people think these are error coins?

I also believe the OPs coin is a minor clip (incomplete planchet).  The edge appears to show the punch and tear characteristics, and there doesn't look like any evidence of cutting, filing, or grinding.