• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oversize 1989 p Lincoln Memorial Penny

5 posts in this topic

I have a larger size 1989 Lincoln Memorial Cent. This pocket change penny is the size of a Jefferson Nickel,  it as i found it, with a curve and don't  lay flat,  I'm wondering if its a novelty or mint error. 

would anyone know about this coin? is it worth getting slab.

Thanks for your help

20190409_132600~2.jpg

20190303_131318 (1).jpg

My bet is on novelty piece.  Coins struck on a wrong planchet would always be on a smaller planchet (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).  Say the die press is set to mint Lincoln Cents then the collar would only allow a planchet of cent size or smaller to fit into it, i.e. dime planchets only currently.  

*exception being intentionally created "errors" such as PCGS slabbed coin #05790411

There's a table here of some known type wrong planchet errors. (disregard the Price Guide portion)

https://varietyerrors.com/wrong-planchet-coin-error-price-guide/

Although I have never done it, I believe the method for creating these oversized pieces is to place the coin between two pieces of leather, and strike it repeatedly with a mallet, until the desired size is reached.

Just Bob, The reliefs on this coin don't look stretched out, or even damaged.  The reliefs looks higher than usual, but who knows, people do the darndest things .

Thanks for you comments 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Yes, it's a Texas penny. This gimmick is usually performed with a nickel, particularly Buffalo Nickels, and it's done by placing an ordinary coin between strips of leather and compressing it within a vise.