Rotated Reverse Coins
1 1

6 posts in this topic

113 posts

Last night, at my local club meeting, I had a chance to buy an 1835 Classic Head half cent graded NGC 55. I decided not to buy it as it had a rotated reverse and I don't care for coins with a rotated reverse. I'm aware that some collectors like them especially if they are rotated at least 45 degrees or more. What would you say is the average collector opinion on coins with rotated reverses? 

2,866 posts

That's an issue that is highly dependent on individual tastes and collecting interests.  For me, I don't really care one way or another.  With Roman coins, a new collecting love, things like rotated reverses are so common that they don't even really figure into the equation when assessing the coin.  But, that said, I've never really been much of an error coin guy but if there was a coin that wasn't Roman, like something for my thematic sets of coins featuring birds and coins featuring infants, a rotated reverse wouldn't cause me not to buy the coin unless it made the coin command a price that was much higher than what would be asked for an example of the coin without the rotated reverse.  That's just me though.

521 posts

Strongly rotated (< 90 degrees) shield nickels are scarce.  I would pay a premium for one.

17,041 posts

Now I'd be pretty happy finding a 180 degree rotated coin. Lol 

232 posts

I've had several "rotated reverse" half cents, and they didn't get any more value.  Except when I showed someone I would say "and look, it has a rotated reverse"...………:-)

4,871 posts

On classic US coins (pre 1839), a rotated reverse is relatively common and not considered a major error. Thus, it tends to have little or no affect on the value, in many cases. Therefore, I would argue it is a matter of taste, and I would also prefer not to have a rotation.

On later coins, this error is much more unusual and will add value to a coin if the rotation is greater than 10-15%, in most cases. These are generally classified as Mint Errors and collected mostly by the Error community.