• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossing border for coin show

8 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Canadacoins123 said:

I will be going to a coin show in hamburg on friday and was wondering if i will have trouble crossing the border from canada into the u.s.. 

Not as long as you have your Canadian passport and there's nothing screwy in your history (warrants, unpaid speeding tickets, Al-Qaida membership card showing dues paid current in full). Expect our customs people to behave with arrogant ignorance (they treat us that way as well), and don't let them provoke you into saying what you really want to say, and you should be all right.

16 hours ago, JKK said:

Not as long as you have your Canadian passport and there's nothing screwy in your history (warrants, unpaid speeding tickets, Al-Qaida membership card showing dues paid current in full). Expect our customs people to behave with arrogant ignorance (they treat us that way as well), and don't let them provoke you into saying what you really want to say, and you should be all right.

JKK is right on with all of that.  And, yes, expect the American customs people to be complete jerks.  That's been my experience with them when I've crossed into Canada.  You should be just fine.

45 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

JKK is right on with all of that.  And, yes, expect the American customs people to be complete jerks.  That's been my experience with them when I've crossed into Canada.  You should be just fine.

What is weird is that the US Customs people have gotten a bit nicer in the past decade, and the Canadian border folks have gotten more difficult (at least in the Selkirks). My experience on each crossing is that the CBSA now make an effort to challenge and provoke American crossers, perhaps to have a good excuse to take them apart. "Don't you realize I'm a Murrican?" is what I bet they get a lot of the time. Simple rule: if you don't take the bait, you win. I even once didn't end up charged what could have been a legit C$50 duty on some beer simply because when the officer told me that was probable, and had me pull around back and wait, I didn't mouth off or go into a mad scramble.

The other thing not to pull is show up five minutes before the crossing closes. A Swedish friend of mine did that. When you do that, of course, they assume you're moving contraband for dead sure, and they act accordingly. Matti won't pull that again.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

What is weird is that the US Customs people have gotten a bit nicer in the past decade, and the Canadian border folks have gotten more difficult (at least in the Selkirks). My experience on each crossing is that the CBSA now make an effort to challenge and provoke American crossers, perhaps to have a good excuse to take them apart. "Don't you realize I'm a Murrican?" is what I bet they get a lot of the time. Simple rule: if you don't take the bait, you win. I even once didn't end up charged what could have been a legit C$50 duty on some beer simply because when the officer told me that was probable, and had me pull around back and wait, I didn't mouth off or go into a mad scramble.

The other thing not to pull is show up five minutes before the crossing closes. A Swedish friend of mine did that. When you do that, of course, they assume you're moving contraband for dead sure, and they act accordingly. Matti won't pull that again.

A decade or so ago I made the border crossing at Sumas 10 times both ways and I found the US & Canadian agents to be fairly professional and mostly courteous.  One time coming back a US agent was a little tense with me but noting that couldn't be tolerated.  The Canada - Alaska crossing was pretty much the same.  So Canadacoins123 welcome and I hope your visit is pleasant.

36 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

A decade or so ago I made the border crossing at Sumas 10 times both ways and I found the US & Canadian agents to be fairly professional and mostly courteous.  One time coming back a US agent was a little tense with me but noting that couldn't be tolerated.  The Canada - Alaska crossing was pretty much the same.  So Canadacoins123 welcome and I hope your visit is pleasant.

It was different a decade or so. When we go that way, we usually cross at Sumas or Aldergrove. Have not done those now for some time, but if the other side of WA is any guide to the rest, one should have one's game on.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

I myself have never had trouble with the Canadian side of things, but it's admittedly been several years since I've crossed the border.  It's weird to hear your report on that JKK, but I have no doubt of it.  I wonder if the fact that I've crossed at Niagara Falls, a big tourist crossing spot, had anything to do with it.  You know, the whole bringing tourist dollars in makes for nicer border guards thing.  Who knows?  But you're dead right about not taking the bait.  And definitely about not pulling up right before a crossing closes.  I got stuck at the border because the dumb b*stard couldn't be bothered to get to the border on time and then he mouthed off at them.  Not a good move.  I, on the other hand, was polite, answered all of their questions quickly and politely and told them the truth about why we were there so late, namely that my friend was a lazy b*stard and obviously a dumb b*stard as well.  I got to stand off to the side while they searched his car top to bottom, patted him down and basically interrogated him.  The Canadians do not mess around in those situations. And that was the last time I ever went over the border with that guy.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, Canadacoins123 said:

I will be going to a coin show in hamburg on friday and was wondering if i will have trouble crossing the border from canada into the u.s.. 

Check with Customs and Border Patrol about declaring money...cash and ask about Gold and Silver....I know a few who didn't and if you lie they will throw the book at you. They will take your coins and cash and tear your vehicle apart. I'm serious. Fill out the proper forms and be honest. They live for this and know what to and where to look. 

Good Luck....