• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar that weighs 11.9 grams & I have not found evidence of this elsewhere. Has anyone seen or heard of a mis clad 1964 khd?

26 posts in this topic

I’m sorry about the quality of photos, but I’ll show you the coin I’m talking about first that weighs 11.8-11.9 grams & then contrast it with one of my other 1964 halves that weighs 12.5grams

E18C7BD9-798E-4D8E-9873-2ECF25A2D325.jpeg

7ED9D701-47C2-4ED4-BE83-EB4BF2C62F91.jpeg

D435737E-C960-4E27-9199-327201E942B9.jpeg

5A9D4E41-20E3-430F-AF52-09F2847AFD90.jpeg

C7338E21-4A04-4BF1-977B-C330003072F5.jpeg

23B51A51-3DC1-4930-BB1C-119C85033EF6.jpeg

You can notice if you look carefully there a 9 under the 6 & a 6 Crossing the 9 plus many other added metal oddities. It definitely is is not much silver if any. It a different metal & you can see the copper underneath the obverse top letter. There is also doubling which is odd. The mint mark D I’d by his Adam’s apple . I tried to get it but my phone isn’t that powerful a camera. Any ideas? I’ll show the other for comparison 

2997DB07-F921-4712-80D6-B176D276C214.jpeg

Edited by Travis Hale

That is the worst case of post mint damage I have seen. And as far as I know there were no clad Kennedy halves minted in 1964. That one looks like it spent some time on I-10.

101_0075-1 (2).jpg

Irvin is right. It is just a badly damaged '64 Kennedy half. The lower weight could be from damage, an underweight planchet, slightly -off scales, or any combination of these causes. I don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe it is less than half a gram under tolerance, and it looks like it could be  missing that much material around the edge.

I’ll send the picks of the two coins side by side & they match perfectly. I thought what y’all said first as well, but the damage is too uniform & damage does not add metal. Ty for helping 

Remember the other is 12.5 grams & that the one I’m talking about is 11.8-9 & I see copper on the obverse B. Not normal for a 1964. I did read of some 1965’s made with 1964 year number, but I promise the metal looks to me like the halves we make now & I also pointed out the double 9’s in the date....

The damage is too uniform to be done accidentally or on purpose & the added mint errors wouldn’t make sense either. I’m asking because I’ve seen & have many damage halves & this is different.

1 minute ago, coinsandmedals said:

This is a damaged half dollar. It was not struck on a clad planchet. There are no additional mint marks. You have not discovered a rare error coin to add to alongside your nonexistent “mint branch proof” Morgan. If you feel you know more than those on these boards with decades of experience and accumulated knowledge then submit it to NGC. Although, according to you in an earlier thread about your polished Morgan, you also do not trust NGC which is one of the most trusted companies in the hobby. I suppose you’ll just have to establish your own grading company.

I thank you & accept your input & I never said I didn’t trust the NGC. There was a rude associate talking down to me & I was just upset at his self-righteous attitude. I’m sorry if I’ve offended you, but by no means did my statement mean that about NGC. I was only trying to expand his perception on global competition now & how even domestic companies will have to compete. Including governmental etc. that includes me & my profession. We live in a world where knowledge increases rapidly & technology even more so. I just hope to keep up. I’m sorry if I offended you or him or anyone else & I am having that Morgan graded & I’ll let y’all know the outcome. I’m also very excited about the opening of grading the Chinese coin market, I have some from the first dynasty I’m sending in. Grading coins is by no means a joke & is extremely difficult & no matter the technology or years I’ve collected, it will never trump your experience or the NGCs...

Here we go again.  I'm probably going to regret this but......Travis, that is an absolutely destroyed 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar that is also the single worst Kennedy Half I've ever personally seen.  It's worth what silver is left in it and a dealer would likely give you less than that.  There is nothing anyone could do with that coin except throw it in their melt pile.  It's not even worth keeping as a coin.  The lower weight is due to the metal that the coin has lost due to the extreme damage it has suffered.

15 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I agree about the coin. However, if someone wants to believe something badly enough, there is no stopping them. Now that I’ve given my opinion, I will end my participation in this thread, rather than beating my head against the wall.😉

Agreed Mark.  Me too. 

35 minutes ago, Travis Hale said:

I agree with you all. I’ve taken your advise & it’s in my scrap melt pile... thank you gentlemen