• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a general query...

49 posts in this topic

Hi guys. Wut uuup?! I am bored and my eyes hurt so I was just scanning through a few of the chat rooms and over the past year I've noticed that I will see a name a whole bunch of times for a few weeks or a month and then never see it again and I always wonder what happen to this or that person. Did they continue to delve deeper into the hobby and just stop posting? Or move to FB groups only? Or maybe they decided they weren't going to get rich off their pocket change and gave it up? A lot of people i see posting, both here and on FB, have come by their coins via an inheritance, so maybe they got bored with trying to figure it all out or hired somebody to take care of it for them? Are there even people that will investigate a person coins and sell them for them? What do you guys think? Do you see the same folks for extended periods of time or do they seem to just come and go? And why do you think the ones you never see again left? Just a conversation starter that I thought would be interesting.

Different people come for different reasons. Some just have one question. Some get comfortable. Some may not be back for a year or two (I have been more active in the past year than in the ten years prior, almost combined). Over the forum years I'm aware of at least a couple who have passed away.

I am pretty new here, but on a couple forums where I have been active I run across names like that. I also wonder about this. It is just human nature to be curious, as it is to disappear. I assume many give up the hobby, and others no longer post but keep collecting. 

I simply fell out of the love for collecting.  I was going through a tough time in my life (addicted to painkillers) and I sold some of my collection, and pawning my favorites so I could obtain those back. I have been clean for bit now, so what is in my past, is in my past. I only look forward to what the future holds. 

That's just one persons story so imagine everyone else's reason why they fell off the forum? Anyone else got a story why they disappeared and have come back?

PS - not a bad topic up for discussion, good idea!

I do think habits vary, but that they are not necessarily related to coin collecting interest of the moment. Right now I have hardly bought any coins since the show in October. I've spent far more money on sports cards. Yet I'm still interested in being here and answering questions, because even if I'm not actively buying, the subject is still enjoyable.

I was very active on these boards during the 2009-2011 timeframe then I found that after a while, there is so much redundancy that you kind of drift away.  The redundancy is no ones fault, it is just the nature of the beast.  I am also much more active on the ANA Forums than here, but I see a lot of the same names on both, so I assume that many folks have multiple place they go for their coin conversation fix. 

Karen,

If you miss someone that was trying to get rich off their pocket change then I for one am glad that they are gone. Most of us just check in and read what's going on and if the questions are answered already then --- maybe next time, :)  Some check in weekly and others check in every other month or so. 

Rick

Well....my story is probably kind of boring.  I started here when I was doing more with US coins, but then I grew disgusted with those projects.  Nothing against US coins, but they weren't making me happy.....the kind of challenge I like wasn't there.  It's too easy to find info on US coins and it's too easy to buy them if you have the funds.  I need a greater level of challenge, so I went off and did some soul searching for a while.  Then, I started selling coins on eBay, and I came back to post my sales in the Money Marketplace here.  For a few years, that was mainly what I did here.  Over the past couple of years, I've found my way into thematic collecting and I came back as a collector as well as a seller, and my activity slowly began an upward trend.  Now, I really enjoy being active here.  I've met people who I now consider friends, my little vestpocket venture is doing well and I've found a new love, collecting ancient coins.  As someone who is working on an EdD in Higher Education Leadership with a focus on online distance learning, participating regularly in an asynchronous communication application such as these boards is good for that as well.  It keeps my skills sharp while I destroy my brain with this dissertation I'm writing!  So, that's the abridged version of Tom's NGC Boards Story :) 

10 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Well....my story is probably kind of boring.  I started here when I was doing more with US coins, but then I grew disgusted with those projects.  Nothing against US coins, but they weren't making me happy.....the kind of challenge I like wasn't there.  It's too easy to find info on US coins and it's too easy to buy them if you have the funds.  I need a greater level of challenge, so I went off and did some soul searching for a while.  Then, I started selling coins on eBay, and I came back to post my sales in the Money Marketplace here.  For a few years, that was mainly what I did here.  Over the past couple of years, I've found my way into thematic collecting and I came back as a collector as well as a seller, and my activity slowly began an upward trend.  Now, I really enjoy being active here.  I've met people who I now consider friends, my little vestpocket venture is doing well and I've found a new love, collecting ancient coins.  As someone who is working on an EdD in Higher Education Leadership with a focus on online distance learning, participating regularly in an asynchronous communication application such as these boards is good for that as well.  It keeps my skills sharp while I destroy my brain with this dissertation I'm writing!  So, that's the abridged version of Tom's NGC Boards Story :) 

I digged it. Another great reason why some people fall off, they simple aren't enjoying it anymore, or at least the type they were collecting doesn't interest them as much. I fell into this category recently as well I believe as I was growing tired of US coins. Nothing against them as you said Tom, I've just been there done that sort of speak. I do however collect rainbow toned US coins as the eye appeal still strikes my fancy. 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:25 PM, JKK said:

Different people come for different reasons. Some just have one question. Some get comfortable. Some may not be back for a year or two (I have been more active in the past year than in the ten years prior, almost combined). Over the forum years I'm aware of at least a couple who have passed away.

I think my 1st Friend here has passed away as well. I will never know for sure I guess, but I always check that last message to see if he has seen it or not. That really bothers me and I need to stop doing it.

When my dad passed away 19 file folder boxes full of mostly unopened Topps, Donruss, you name it he had it boxes-you know, like the ones with a piece of bubblegum inside each pack-went to my stupid uncle who knows nothing about baseball. Those boxes dated back to 1949! Hard to tell what was there.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, BipolarBaby said:

I simply fell out of the love for collecting.  I was going through a tough time in my life (addicted to painkillers) and I sold some of my collection, and pawning my favorites so I could obtain those back. I have been clean for bit now, so what is in my past, is in my past. I only look forward to what the future holds. 

That's just one persons story so imagine everyone else's reason why they fell off the forum? Anyone else got a story why they disappeared and have come back?

PS - not a bad topic up for discussion, good idea!

Good for you guy/gal, no clue which. I too have fought that demon and know where you're coming from. Pat yourself on the back for me while saying great job.

On 3/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, Mokiechan said:

I was very active on these boards during the 2009-2011 timeframe then I found that after a while, there is so much redundancy that you kind of drift away.  The redundancy is no ones fault, it is just the nature of the beast.  I am also much more active on the ANA Forums than here, but I see a lot of the same names on both, so I assume that many folks have multiple place they go for their coin conversation fix. 

I do not know the ANA. But this was the 1st forum I entered in which the experts, that's you JKK, Just Bob, Tom and Conder-it made me tap that twice-lol, and Casman-didn't make me feel stupid and were very patient with me. I never went into another chatroom, except FB and idk if that's really the same thing. I don't post over here a whole lot anymore but I try to check in and see what's going on and just read the postings at least twice a week, and I try to throw out some props to these guys that spend their time helping people like me learn and get nothing in return. I guess not only because they deserve the recognition but also so they know I'm still out here waiting for that million dollar coin. 

On 3/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

Karen,

If you miss someone that was trying to get rich off their pocket change then I for one am glad that they are gone. Most of us just check in and read what's going on and if the questions are answered already then --- maybe next time, :)  Some check in weekly and others check in every other month or so. 

Rick

Dangit Rick. Lol! I hope you know that I was kidding about that million dollar coin?!

22 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Tom, you don't have it in you to be dull, my friend. Heck, I'm about to go look up some of your words right now. That's exciting. 

Still that dissertation huh? How much longer do you think? Poor guy, I do feel for you.

Btw guys, I checked this posting repeating the night I made it and there were no replys. Then I come over today amd there you all are. My faithful friends and teachers and a new name too. Never got the 1st notification or email that anyone had responded. Maybe one day I'll get those settings right, who knows.  Anyway, I guess my topic wasn't dull after all and I am glad. Cause I just miss you guys sometimes but don't have any coinage questions to post about. So I do,this kind of stuff. If Conder were here then I'd have my whole crew. 

Thanks for all y'alls input. I think we learned a lot.

59 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Tom, you don't have it in you to be dull, my friend. Heck, I'm about to go look up some of your words right now. That's exciting. 

Still that dissertation huh? How much longer do you think? Poor guy, I do feel for you.

Dont worry about Tom, he seems to be in a great state right now, especially since he re-found an obsession for collecting! He happens to be interested in collecting the same coins I am - Roman period. The challenge is there for collecting these coins, as he stated before in another topic, and it really is. The idea that some of these coin in ancient times could have been held in the hands of Jesus is a feeling that no one or nothing can replace. I am horrible at putting my feelings into words, but that is as best as I can describe it. 

CHEERS FOLKS,

Peter

1 hour ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ahh....the dissertation......well, at least 8 more months.  Probably more, but we'll see how it goes!  Thanks for the kind words though Karen!  It's always great ot hear from you, my friend!

10 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I do not know the ANA. But this was the 1st forum I entered in which the experts, that's you JKK, Just Bob, Tom and Conder-it made me tap that twice-lol, and Casman-didn't make me feel stupid and were very patient with me. I never went into another chatroom, except FB and idk if that's really the same thing. I don't post over here a whole lot anymore but I try to check in and see what's going on and just read the postings at least twice a week, and I try to throw out some props to these guys that spend their time helping people like me learn and get nothing in return. I guess not only because they deserve the recognition but also so they know I'm still out here waiting for that million dollar coin. 

I am a member of four coin forums. They are all a little different and offer their unique experiences. Sometimes I go to each a little everyday, sometimes none, sometimes one. It offers variety. 

There are a number of members who were once quite active, but no longer post here - or at least, not very often - but still post ATS or on other forums. I sometimes wonder why they no longer share their knowledge here.

If we make people feel stupid for no good reason, we'll be acting to the detriment of our hobby. One thing I really like about our local coin club is that it does everything the officers can think of to welcome YNs. Well, even if new folks here are not technically YNs, they are in those early times where their appreciation of the hobby will be formed (or impaired). I do think that new people posting should show a little common sense as people, and when they don't, I just find something else to read or post as politely as possible pointing out how greatly their post would improve with common sense. But new people with even basic common sense...they are how the hobby grows. They make all our collections a little more valuable. Plus, what is more fun than walking people through discovery of something really fun?

I sort of know one dealer so prominent there's no way I'll mention his name. "I hate coins," he said. "But they're the only thing I know." To me that's just sad.

11 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

When my dad passed away 19 file folder boxes full of mostly unopened Topps, Donruss, you name it he had it boxes-you know, like the ones with a piece of bubblegum inside each pack-went to my stupid uncle who knows nothing about baseball. Those boxes dated back to 1949! Hard to tell what was there.

You could always see if he'll let you learn about them and sell them, and you both split the proceeds. If he knows nothing about them he probably doesn't care.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:18 AM, Mohawk said:

Ahh....the dissertation......well, at least 8 more months.  Probably more, but we'll see how it goes!  Thanks for the kind words though Karen!  It's always great ot hear from you, my friend!

I ran across something you might be interested in on ETSY. Or you may have one already. About to send you a message.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, Just Bob said:

There are a number of members who were once quite active, but no longer post here - or at least, not very often - but still post ATS or on other forums. I sometimes wonder why they no longer share their knowledge here.

What is ATS?

On 3/28/2019 at 10:27 AM, JKK said:

You could always see if he'll let you learn about them and sell them, and you both split the proceeds. If he knows nothing about them he probably doesn't care.

No, he wants them for his grandson who probably won't be interested on ball in a couple more years. He's a butthead. Lol!

5 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I ran across something you might be interested in on ETSY. Or you may have one already. About to send you a message.

NO!!! Not Etsy!! Anything but Etsy!!

On 3/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, JKK said:

If we make people feel stupid for no good reason, we'll be acting to the detriment of our hobby. One thing I really like about our local coin club is that it does everything the officers can think of to welcome YNs. Well, even if new folks here are not technically YNs, they are in those early times where their appreciation of the hobby will be formed (or impaired). I do think that new people posting should show a little common sense as people, and when they don't, I just find something else to read or post as politely as possible pointing out how greatly their post would improve with common sense. But new people with even basic common sense...they are how the hobby grows. They make all our collections a little more valuable. Plus, what is more fun than walking people through discovery of something really fun?

I sort of know one dealer so prominent there's no way I'll mention his name. "I hate coins," he said. "But they're the only thing I know." To me that's just sad.

I can see you now politely telling someone that they aren't very smart. Lmbo! I will say though that nothing makes me more mad than to tell someone that the trainwreck that landed on their coin is PMD and all they wanna do is argue about it. And I even try to give examples of what COULD HAVE caused the damage and explain that nothing inside a Mint facility could possibly have caused it. And still they argue. Why ask if you already know it all. Right? So sometimes I just leave a link to error-ref.

1 minute ago, Mohawk said:

NO!!! Not Etsy!! Anything but Etsy!!

Ah snap! You arent the 1st to say such things, but I've fotten some great stuff off ETSY.

2 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ah snap! You arent the 1st to say such things, but I've fotten some great stuff off ETSY.

Etsy is my arch nemesis ever since the whole 1977-D "Pac-Man" cent issue arose from there and contaminated our happy little home.

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Across The Street - a reference to the PCGS forum.

Ah. Ok. You know I found a major error on their CoinFacts app, either there or in the CherryPickers Guide and I brought it to Potters attention because he had proofread the app statement and he said the above is correct but I had both examples that were opposite one another above, so I was like...ok.  I still don't know which was correct.