• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hazing/Oxidation

5 posts in this topic

You might be looking at pvc contamination. Most proof coins do not get hazy, they might tarnish. The ike dollars were bad about this from the holder they were put in from the mint. If your coins are form that era its probable. Search for articles on pvc removal and what it looks like.

Are you referring to the 1970's and early 80s proof sets and that haze that shows on some of them?  The capital holders tend to have PVC damage from what I've read but the US Mint OGP is a different situation. 

I was wondering about it as well and found some archived forum threads (different forums I believe) from at least 10 years ago.  Extensive debates regarding acetone usage and different soaps, chemical analysis of the products and effects on different metal contents, before and after pics, at least one example that was updated a few years after of one of the test coins.  All rather interesting.  I broke a 78 proof set just to see if an acetone + distilled water rinse alone would make a difference and the clad quarter & dollar did show the haze removed.  Specifically chose low value coins with existing faults in the fields/strike so there'd be no resale value if they ever left my collection.  I haven't gone back to see the difference once placed in holder as I don't think it's been long enough to gauge a true effect.

As far as cleaned designations I think you'll find opinions on both sides of that fence.  It's not original condition any longer, but there's no mechanical damage (wiping, whizzing, etc..), but a chemical has been introduced that may or may no be inert.  Even early copper collectors still practice the oil wipe procedure on those coins yet that's acceptable as "conservation". 

Outside of that conversation, collecting habits and tastes change over time.  Maybe in another decade folks will seek out those "Monster Hazed" Clad Proof coins same as all the lamination errors of the early 20th century  were set aside as damaged only to find a group of collectors these days looking for them.

11 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

The capital holders tend to have PVC damage from what I've read

If coins in Capital Plastic holders (or the Whitman style holders) have PVC damage it is because the coins had PVC residue or damage on them when they were put in the holders.  Neither of those holders have any PVC in them.