• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1901 1C Indian Head Variety ?

8 posts in this topic

Most likely explanation is it's plated. Notice the bronze peeking through at 9:00, and the little dark spots here and there at the edges of raised parts. (Could be dirt, could be plating giving way.)

that might be a bad picture - it does in the picture look as if there is bronze/copper - but not in my hand. see what you think of these images. There are some dings on the rim and nothing indicating underneath. 

IMG_20190323_193006.jpg

IMG_20190323_193033.jpg

I'm thinking plated too.  Plating cents is a pretty common thing.....many chemistry classes do it.  My 11th grade chemistry class did it.  We plated them with zinc and it was pretty cool.....you got a silver colored cent like that when it was all done.  Though my cents were Lincoln Memorials from the 1980's and 1990's.  It looks like someone used a high grade Indian for such a thing.  It could have been done to simulate a mint error as well, or to put in one of those pre-assembled sets that are often sold to people who don't really know about coins.  Think gold-plated State Quarters.  Those things were everywhere in the last decade.

When we were kids, we took steel cents, wrapped them in aluminum foil with a bath of Mercurochrome and then heated the whole thing on a hot plate.  We would then have manufactured our own very poorly plated copper 1943 cents.  Science is wonderful.

6 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

When we were kids, we took steel cents, wrapped them in aluminum foil with a bath of Mercurochrome and then heated the whole thing on a hot plate.  We would then have manufactured our own very poorly plated copper 1943 cents.  Science is wonderful.

Indeed it is!  Wow....I never knew of that method for making fake copper 1943 cents. 

42 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Indeed it is!  Wow....I never knew of that method for making fake copper 1943 cents. 

LOL, they would not have fooled anyone but it was still kind of fun.