• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on this 2018 Penny error WHAT type of error is it

10 posts in this topic

I don't think it is a die gouge, I think it is a HUB gouge.  E PLURIBUS UNUM is incuse on the coin and that feature appears to go DEEPER than the lettering.  That would mean a raised feature on the die not a gouge, and in order to create that raised feature on the die, you would need a gouge in the hub that created the die.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I don't think it is a die gouge, I think it is a HUB gouge.  E PLURIBUS UNUM is incuse on the coin and that feature appears to go DEEPER than the lettering.  That would mean a raised feature on the die not a gouge, and in order to create that raised feature on the die, you would need a gouge in the hub that created the die.

Since the work is now done by CNC machines, and not hand punches, etc., how would a hub gouge, or for that matter, a die gouge, occur? A stray bit of metal between master die and working hub (or between working hub and working die)?

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Since the work is now done by CNC machines, and not hand punches, etc., how would a hub gouge, or for that matter, a die gouge, occur? A stray bit of metal between master die and working hub (or between working hub and working die)?

That'd be my guess. Some piece of the wrong thing got in there, despite what are surely extensive cleaning and dusting measures.

Everyone thank you for the information on this coin. I purchased a box of penny's from the bank and this was the only coin I found like this. Would you all keep this coin in your collection or is this something that is common among coins being made?

I would keep it and keep checking other 2018 cents to try and find a second one to confirm the "hub gouge".  If it is a hub gouge the hub should have created several to many dies with this mark and other examples should be found without too much trouble.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I would keep it and keep checking other 2018 cents to try and find a second one to confirm the "hub gouge".  If it is a hub gouge the hub should have created several to many dies with this mark and other examples should be found without too much trouble.

Which, it follows, would make it interesting but probably not valuable, since not scarce. I know you are aware of this but the OP should carry this thought through to its interpretation.