• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Certifies New Half Cent Variety

6 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) has identified a new variety of 1795 Half Cent. It is the first example of this obverse and reverse pairing known with a lettered edge; all other examples have a plain edge. Click Here to Read More

I read the article and have to admit that is impressive.  Until the last image I was suspecting lettering from a cut down token but it is definitely a 1795 half cent on a left over 1794 planchet.  That brings the full Cohen variety set up to an even 100 varieties

I have an unusual coin that's been hiding in my Indian head cent collection. I removed the 1866 for a closer look and noticed some doubling on the obverse. I went through several online error/variety sites and was unable to find anything close to what I was looking at. The coin is a low end VF, so some doubling may have been lost to wear. I'll give a short description and will welcome any information that'll help solve the mystery. The doubling isn't drastic but it's definitely there. I can see it at the bottom of the lowest curls of hair , bottom of the diamond ribbon , 4 bottom feathers , and the E R I C A of America. I'd appreciate any info I can get on the coin or at least a reference to a pro in the error/variety coin field.

1592362955726-296049666.jpg

Picture isn't good but what I am seeing looks like Longacre doubling.  It was common on the obverses of the indian head cents thru 1886.

Excellent! Hopefully, another in better condition will show up - possibly from some old type coin album or small family collection.