• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Care of Coins

6 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, leeg said:

August%201912%20Care%20of%20Coins%20p%20

The Numismatist, August 1912, p. 267.

Have we learned something since then?

Ouch! I should hope so!  Reading articles like this are one thing that makes me really glad that I mostly collect post-World War II coins, though there was still some of this thinking in the early part of that period, sadly.  It's really funny what our numismatic forebears thought proper coin care was.  Thanks for sharing that one

58 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

"No ill effects noted, other than the wear of wiping." :eek:

Yeah....that made me cringe too.  A while back at my favorite local dealer, I saw an 1858 Canadian 20 Cent piece that just looked.....weird.  Something had clearly happened to it at some point, and it was also readily apparent that whatever this poor, once beautiful coin was subjected to happened long ago.  I had never seen a coin that was cleaned like that.  After reading this and thinking about it some, I'm wondering if this poor 20 Cent piece got the ol' camphor and kerosene treatment.  Anyhow, whatever happened to it, it was heartbreaking.  It appears that Canadian collectors were also following this wonderful "advice".

Back then they did not have the chemical company's that we do today. A big hindrance for them.

They also used this " Pomade."