• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any ideas about this coin? I see a small cc on the O

13 posts in this topic

Hi Travis,

I'm definitely not seeing it.....just the usual oval O one sees on New Orleans Morgans of this era. 

Oh, you mean that "CC."

Nope!  Not seeing it, either.  lol

But, what would be your premise?

Somebody would take a $400 coin and manipulate it into an $80 coin.

Or the Mint was just "fooling around" that day, and wondered what would happen if they, um, if they… uhhh… you got me.  hm

58 minutes ago, Travis Hale said:

No, the New Orleans Mint took the left over Carson City coins when they stopped minting & a lot of times just stAmped an O over the cc. It’s on google...

This is true, but there is no record of that happening in 1881.  As far as I know, the only time this actually happened was for 1900 dated coinage, resulting in the 1900-O/CC varieties, which is the only date known for an O/CC in the Morgan Dollar series.  This happened after 1893, when Carson City closed for good.  In 1881, both New Orleans and Carson City needed reverse dies, so an 1881-O/CC wouldn't be a likely occurrence.  I'm not saying it would have been impossible (the 1882 O/S shows that), but any such OMM would likely have been found and noted by now.  There are A LOT of Morgan Dollars collectors, and a lot of them search for VAM varieties, so Morgans are heavily searched.  I'm also still not seeing anything that looks like a CC on that coin.  In interpreting the available evidence, I'd say the 1900 O/CC is the only O/CC in the Morgan series.  Just because something happened once doesn't mean it happened many times.

Nope dont see the CC either but may see the crossing of the "S" in the middle of the "O" - tough to tell with phone cameras though

On 3/6/2019 at 10:00 PM, MorganMan said:

Don't see any signs of a "cc". Sorry.

What a 1881 CC should look like.

1881rev.jpg

Sweet CC MM :-) - Frosty 

5 hours ago, jgrinz said:

but may see the crossing of the "S" in the middle of the "O"

That would be a cherry as well because the O/S is 1882 not 1881.  At least I don't know of one.  On the other hand I am not really up on Morgan VAM's.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

That would be a cherry as well because the O/S is 1882 not 1881.  At least I don't know of one.  On the other hand I am not really up on Morgan VAM's.

Yep you are correct sir … that is 1882 … Must be the pictures. Thanks for the heads up