• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading 101

12 posts in this topic

Can somebody help me get a ballpark grade on this penny? I'm reading up on grading online and some of it seems to be science and some of it seems to be sorcery. And regarding color, is this red or red brown?

1988PennyOb.jpg

10 minutes ago, JerryNich said:

Do you folks use those increasingly popular USB microscopes? If so, do you have any recommendations for brand, and or model?

Don't buy a cheap one. I tried one of the $25 ones, and the picture quality is poor. I works fine for looking at things close up, but not for sharing pictures.

i am still learning also. So I am going to write what I think I saw before looking at the other's answers. That way I can be corrected and learn something too.

I would call it red brown, I see some darker areas, not brown but not like a new penny either. 

I would have to say AU58, I am seeing just the slightest touch of wear going down Lincoln's face and high points of the lapel on his jacket.  For all know, they could be contact marks from other coins. 

Slight circulation would be the cause of luster breaks at the darker areas, unless they are from the lighting. 

I see some light scratches, but I'm pretty sure they are from the die. 

2 hours ago, JerryNich said:

Do you folks use those increasingly popular USB microscopes? If so, do you have any recommendations for brand, and or model?

My wife and I bought some equipment from Ray Parkhurst at http://www.macrocoins.com/ I think I saw he had something I would think is even better for sale recently. 

He is very knowledgeable and was extremely helpful. Ray's great guy, I would ask him what he has or recommends.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, JerryNich said:

I'm reading up on grading online and some of it seems to be science and some of it seems to be sorcery.

For circulated coins it's science, for Mint State, especially higher Mint State it's sorcery.  :)

18 hours ago, Conder101 said:

For circulated coins it's science, for Mint State, especially higher Mint State it's sorcery.  :)

Indeed it is.  I'd love for someone at NGC to be able to show me the exact difference between a 69 and a 70.