Your opinion: 1880 S PL Morgan Dollar Grade
0

41 posts in this topic

4,060 posts

Have you had this coin for a long time? I can't imagine it being on the market for very long and still being in that holder. Surely, if it was "in the wild" someone would have resubmitted it by now. Unless it looks much worse in hand, I think it deserves an upgrade, or at least a gold sticker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
729 posts
17 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Have you had this coin for a long time? I can't imagine it being on the market for very long and still being in that holder. Surely, if it was "in the wild" someone would have resubmitted it by now. Unless it looks much worse in hand, I think it deserves an upgrade, or at least a gold sticker.

I don't think it was out there for long and I paid a little more than I wanted.  I just thought it looked too good to be a 62 and happily forked over $95. Thought It was a nice coin and worth a gamble.  If anything,  it's a great example and I'll send it in for a bean.  I'm not sure it's even worth sending in for an upgrade if it'll only be to a 63. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
523 posts

Nice coin, regardless of what you paid.  You have something very worthwhile to show for money spent- how much do we spend for trivial "stuff" in life with nothing to show?  Movies, a bad date, etc...at least that's how I justify spending a slight premium for a coin I like.  What the heck?  Right?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts
2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

The star is for extra eye-appeal. But typically, only certain aspects of a coin’s appearance account for that. I believe that a PL Morgan would need to be exquisitely toned, a borderline DPL  (at least on one side) or extra deeply frosted. I can’t envision what else might qualify. Quality-wise, a high end example for the assigned grade, should not have anything to do with a star.

That makes a lot of sense Mark.  Thanks for the clarity.  Admittedly, Morgan Dollars are not a series I have a lot of exposure to.  I don't collect them, nor do I sell them.  I used to work at a coin shop that did handle Morgans, but many of them were already graded......I don't think I've ever certified a Morgan. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, I learned something today and I always appreciate education.

Thanks and Cheers!

~Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
729 posts
29 minutes ago, PocketArt said:

Nice coin, regardless of what you paid.  You have something very worthwhile to show for money spent- how much do we spend for trivial "stuff" in life with nothing to show?  Movies, a bad date, etc...at least that's how I justify spending a slight premium for a coin I like.  What the heck?  Right?    

Agree.  I've spent plenty on fishing lures and lose multiples a season  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,768 posts
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

That makes a lot of sense Mark.  Thanks for the clarity.  Admittedly, Morgan Dollars are not a series I have a lot of exposure to.  I don't collect them, nor do I sell them.  I used to work at a coin shop that did handle Morgans, but many of them were already graded......I don't think I've ever certified a Morgan. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, I learned something today and I always appreciate education.

Thanks and Cheers!

~Tom

Happy to try to help, Tom. And thank you.

Edited by MarkFeld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,587 posts

I had a rattler with an 1880S with about the same markings and it graded MS 60 ….

PCGS didn't mess around in the day. Personally I think they were mean to the coin but  I paid 60 money so I was cool with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,871 posts

It looks like an MS65. It would grade higher without the reeding marks in front of the face. It is not possible to determine, from the pics, whether or not it is PL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367 posts

Very pretty '80 S.  I agree with much of the sentiment that PCGS was a little harsh on that coin.  I couldn't really detect PL from the photos, but I thought 64/65 based on your earliest photos.   I have a couple Morgan/Peace dollars in 62 (different dates and mm: '02 S Morgan and '28 S Peace) that I think were also harshly judged.  They have very nice luster, strong strikes and very few distracting marks.  My plans are to hold on to them as is and enjoy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
729 posts
9 hours ago, jpcienkus said:

Very pretty '80 S.  I agree with much of the sentiment that PCGS was a little harsh on that coin.  I couldn't really detect PL from the photos, but I thought 64/65 based on your earliest photos.   I have a couple Morgan/Peace dollars in 62 (different dates and mm: '02 S Morgan and '28 S Peace) that I think were also harshly judged.  They have very nice luster, strong strikes and very few distracting marks.  My plans are to hold on to them as is and enjoy them.

Yeah,  I'm just gonna send it in to see if it'll sticker and hold on to it.  It's a nice example regardless.  Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts
13 hours ago, BLive1972 said:

Yeah,  I'm just gonna send it in to see if it'll sticker and hold on to it.  It's a nice example regardless.  Thanks! 

It's a nice coin....remember the old adage, buy the coin and not the holder.  I have a gorgeous 1965 Proof Like Canadian Quarter graded PL 65 Ultra Cameo.  Yes, it has more marks than many of my coins and a lower number on the label, but man is it gorgeous!  Check it out:

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=2265065

I wouldn't trade it for a PL 68 example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0