• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Jefferson/Buffalo nickel

10 posts in this topic

20190131_150050.thumb.png.7c758416f22ba52ca872d0b7ad688fed.pngI think this was a Jefferson nickel that started life out as a Buffalo nickel. Look at the pics and tell me what you think. I've got more pictures of what appears to be the ponytail of the Indian on Jeffersons cheek. However they will not upoad??!!

20190131_164535.png

Edited by Chuh-ching
Picture added

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That coins started as an undamaged Jefferson Nickel, and now it is a damaged Jefferson Nickel. There's no buffalo in sight.

28 minutes ago, DWLange said:

That coins started as an undamaged Jefferson Nickel, and now it is a damaged Jefferson Nickel. There's no buffalo in sight.

No Indian, either.  :wink:

Agreed with the above.  You have a damaged Jefferson Nickel on your hands.  When you're looking at coins, you have to stop and ask yourself if what you think you're seeing is possible.  Your nickel was struck in 1958, two decades after the last Buffalo Nickel was struck.  There would not have been any Buffalo Nickels hanging around in the production line after such a long period of time to make the creation of a Jefferson Nickel over Buffalo Nickel error impossible. 

30 minutes ago, thebeav said:

I've heard of a Jeffalo nickel, but I've never seen one.......

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as far as I know it would have to be a 1938-D Jefferson over a 1938-D Buffalo as that was the only time the two designs were minted in the same year in a minting facility.  Even so, I've never heard of such an error.  I'd say the chances of a 1958 Jefferson being struck over a Buffalo are so remote as to be impossible, unless someone at the US Mint did so deliberately.  And, if someone went to all that trouble, do you think that it would end up in circulation, especially long enough to be worn down to a grade such as the OP's coin?  I highly doubt it.  I highly doubt that a mint worker in 1958 would go to all the trouble of getting a Buffalo Nickel to the production floor, finding the right opportunity to be alone with a coin press, place an already struck coin inside the press and then strike it just to throw it in the regular production bin.  Also, from the OP's photos, I see a low-grade Jefferson that may have some sort of die clash error from the newer photo there.  The other photo was just a damaged Jefferson obverse.  I see nothing that remotely looks anything like any element of the Buffalo Nickel design on that coin.

Edited by Mohawk

9 hours ago, Karma1 said:

Very interesting. Can you upload another full pic of that coin. Front and back?

Why?  It's just a damaged Jefferson Nickel......

Looks like a Vise Job to me. The word TRUST  is reversed and incuse.

If it was struck over another coin, the copy would be positive and raised.

Definitely PMD.