• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1962 D - 1963 D Proof coins value

6 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

First, a little clarification: " proof " and "mint state" (ms) are not the same thing. A mint state coin is one that has been struck for circulation or for inclusion in a mint set, from regular business strike dies, on a regular press, and has never been circulated. A proof coin is one that has been struck for collectors,  on a polished planchet, using polished dies, on a medal press, usually multiple times. There are exceptions, but generally speaking, those are the differences. There is a lot of difference in an MS 67 coin, and  a PR 67 coin.

Now, as far as worth, the NGC price guide lists the 62D at $2200, and the 63D at $3000. These prices are just a guide,  and are probably on the high side. A quick look did not show any for sale on Ebay, but you might do a search for recent auction prices from Heritage, Stacks, Great Collections,  or elsewhere,  and get a better idea of actual prices realized. 

Thanks so much for the insight. Much appreciated. The 62D and 63D I have a very shiny like a new penny. It looks as if the are polished. Co
uld they be proof coins? They have much more detail than the 2018 penny pictured in the middle of the 62 & 63D. Please let me know what you think, Thanks again. 

IMG_20190129_221305598.jpg

16 minutes ago, Proofer82 said:

Thanks so much for the insight. Much appreciated. The 62D and 63D I have a very shiny like a new penny. It looks as if the are polished. Coimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b
uld they be proof coins? They have much more detail than the 2018 penny pictured in the middle of the 62 & 63D. Please let me know what you think, Thanks again. 

IMG_20190129_221305598.jpg

Nope.  Definitely not proofs.  A D mint mark eliminates that possibility.  In 1962 and 1963, proofs were made at the Philadelphia Mint and they have no mint marks. Denver only made business strikes.

As Mohawk stated, they are not proof coins. They appear to be regular business strikes. The picture is too small, fuzzy, and far away to give any kind of opinion on condition or worth. They do appear to be uncirculated, but even guessing at a grade would be impossible.

Thanks for all of the help on this. Learning a lot. With so many coins, grades, mints and conditions it is a lot of fun getting educated. I love coin roll hunting very much. Will try to post some neat finds.