• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any ideas on this reverse Secagawea?

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

In looking at your photos, I think you have some form of post-minting damage on your coin.  I've seen coins, mostly cents and dimes, which have spent time laying in puddles in parking lots that have some gasoline in them that look exactly like the reverse of your coin.  While it would be a rarer occurrence with a dollar coin, it's far from impossible. 

41 minutes ago, Eleonor said:

Hi Tom, I had this coin in my drawer for a long time. It has weird silvery color and rainbow except, the observe, in which it is in excellent condition. 

Ahh....now, I didn't know that before.  You may have the beginning of natural toning on the coin then.  How long has the coin been in your drawer, if you don't mind my asking?

I am going to just throw a guess out here, and I am going to guess that the coin has been sitting, reverse side down, on some paper or some other object containing sulfur, and that caused it to tone on that side only.

Hi Bob, first of all thank you for asking and interacting with me regarding this coin. This coin has been sitting in my  tiny drawer, and not sitting on same position, no sulfur or chemical. Both side are shiny since I got it except, it has a different color on the reverse side. I didn't see the difference or paid attention till this month. 

Sincerely,

Eleonor 

Really? Lol Ohok. I would still use Bob's link in the future and wait till i have a better one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts or comments. Am learning a lot here Conder101😊 

Some of the color patch shapes on the reverse are quite interesting, but not valuable. A waste of resources to slab it.