• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cleaned coins

13 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have purchased a few Morgan Silver dollars that I sent in to NGC for granding and they come back as having been inappropriately cleaned. I look at the coins and don't  see any problems. Are there any tell tale signs that I can look for to determine if there is an inappropriate cleaning? Thanks.

Something I've been wondering about, kinda related to cleaned coins. Has anyone on here actually cracked an NGC slabbed cleaned coin and resubmitted it to NGC and have it come back with a straight grade? I'm in the same boat as the OP, always feel taken advantage of, by either the seller or NGC. There are times where I would like to resubmit but that's more than likely throwing good money after bad, thanks.

When you look at a mechanically cleaned coin for example through a loop or magnifying glass the higher surfaces (protrusions) will often be shinier than the recessed portions AND you see tiny abrasions/scratches that are too symmetrical to be normal wear. Harsh chemical cleaning yields different signs.

Our hosts have a good article here:  https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5411/improperly-cleaned/

Thank you for your responses. I now have some info to help me going forward.  I will post a picture of the coin(s) once I get them from the safety deposit box at the bank. 

One more question, I also collect ancient/medieval coins. One that I sent to be graded came back as ungradable because it had peck marks. Does anyone know specifics about peck marks? I looked, albeit with the naked eye, and could not see anythin. I think coins were pecked to determine their composition but am thinking the the mark(s) would be obvious. Any thoughts? Thanks!

16 hours ago, szugelder said:

Something I've been wondering about, kinda related to cleaned coins. Has anyone on here actually cracked an NGC slabbed cleaned coin and resubmitted it to NGC and have it come back with a straight grade? I'm in the same boat as the OP, always feel taken advantage of, by either the seller or NGC. There are times where I would like to resubmit but that's more than likely throwing good money after bad, thanks.

No, but I cracked NGC Details Cleaned 2 CC Trade dollars and sent them to PCGS.  They both came back PCGS Details Cleaned so I have a tendency to believe NGC.

3 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

No, but I cracked NGC Details Cleaned 2 CC Trade dollars and sent them to PCGS.  They both came back PCGS Details Cleaned so I have a tendency to believe NGC.

thanks for the feedback!!

Details -- Cleaned is very easy to spot in the right lighting. Getting a proper light to view your coins and a 6X loupe or so will save you from making  costly submission mistakes again.Don't question the grade that NGC gives you on a coin. Learn from the grade given and you will get a step ahead. (thumbsu

Note to folks who are against cleaning...really old stuck-in-a stack really old crusty coins...you have to clean those coins...just saying.  Otherwise you can't ID them :-)  Modern coins should never be cleaned.  Ever!

12 minutes ago, Greg Pimper said:

Note to folks who are against cleaning...really old stuck-in-a stack really old crusty coins...you have to clean those coins...just saying.  Otherwise you can't ID them :-)  Modern coins should never be cleaned.  Ever!

Yes, untreated raw ancient coins from hoards that were not properly kept over the centuries are a notable exception to the general rule. The “cleaning” process you are referring to is to remove encrustations that often accompany untreated ancient coins. If those coins were properly handled then they shouldn’t have any encrustation issues and most definitely would not need to be cleaned. Modern coins are not the only pieces that should not be cleaned. 

6 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Details -- Cleaned is very easy to spot in the right lighting. Getting a proper light to view your coins and a 6X loupe or so will save you from making  costly submission mistakes again.Don't question the grade that NGC gives you on a coin. Learn from the grade given and you will get a step ahead. (thumbsu

Agreed...NGC's graders are top-notch.  If they identify a problem, it's there.  Don't doubt it.  Rick's absolutely right, when you get an unpleasant grading surprise (and anyone who submits their own coins has), look the coin over carefully, observe it and learn from it.  That's how you avoid those nasty surprises in the future :)

9 hours ago, Greg Pimper said:

Cleaning and Preservation are actually 2 different types of making your coins look swell. One is right and the other is wrong. If you think you need a coin cleaned (WRONG) send it to a professional and have it preserved (CORRECT). Yes --- modern coins need to be preserved as well sometimes to get the misty cloud off the coin and show of the beauty under the mist. Leaving the mist and gasses on a modern coin detracts from the beauty and in time may grow on the coin to corrode it later on. ;)

On 1/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, szugelder said:

Has anyone on here actually cracked an NGC slabbed cleaned coin and resubmitted it to NGC and have it come back with a straight grade?

Yes it does happen sometimes.  Happens with PCGS as well.  It's also possible to crack out a straight graded coin, resubmit, and have it come back details.  And of course have cracked out straight graded pieces come back with a different grade both up or down.