• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1970 s which of these are the same date??

9 posts in this topic

If you are asking if one is a "small date," the one on the left is a large date, and I think the one on the right is also, although I can't make out the markers  well enough to be certain.

Those are both Large Dates.  Though many people get caught up in the positions of the 7 relative to the 9 and the 0 in the date as markers of the 1970-S Small Date, I never use those as there's a much easier way if you're willing to look at some photos.  The 1970-S Small Date has a very distinctly shaped numeral 9 in the date.  On the 1970-S Large Date, the inner point of the loop of the 9 points toward the mint mark whereas the inner point of the loop of the 9 on the 1970-S Small Date points toward the back of the numeral 9.  The loop of the 9 on the Small Date is also more bulbous and is shaped somewhat like a horizontal oval......if you look at photos of the two types, these diagnostics will start to jump out at you. 

3 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Those are both Large Dates.  Though many people get caught up in the positions of the 7 relative to the 9 and the 0 in the date as markers of the 1970-S Small Date, I never use those as there's a much easier way if you're willing to look at some photos.  The 1970-S Small Date has a very distinctly shaped numeral 9 in the date.  On the 1970-S Large Date, the inner point of the loop of the 9 points toward the mint mark whereas the inner point of the loop of the 9 on the 1970-S Small Date points toward the back of the numeral 9.  The loop of the 9 on the Small Date is also more bulbous and is shaped somewhat like a horizontal oval......if you look at photos of the two types, these diagnostics will start to jump out at you. 

I use the loop of the nine, as well. What is interesting, and potentially confusing,  is that, on the 1960 small and large date cents, the diagnostics are just the opposite.

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

I use the loop of the nine, as well. What is interesting, and potentially confusing,  is that, on the 1960 small and large date cents, the diagnostics are just the opposite.

You know, I never thought about that before but you are absolutely right Bob!  It makes me glad that I don't do much with 1960 Small Dates in my resale venture......there would be the potential for some real boo-boos if you're thinking of the wrong Small Date when attributing!

5 hours ago, DWLange said:

Remember, folks. When in doubt there's always NGC's free VarietyPlus Gallery:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/

Absolutely.....that's one of the greatest resources out there.  I was just using it today in checking over a 1970 Mint Set that I found laying around......nothing special in there, but now I know for sure!

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Absolutely.....that's one of the greatest resources out there.  I was just using it today in checking over a 1970 Mint Set that I found laying around......nothing special in there, but now I know for sure!

I agree completely. I have learned a lot from that resource.