• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Awards Question

6 posts in this topic

I am looking at creating a new custom set this year. As I was reviewing the recent Registry awards, I noticed that there were no custom sets in the "Best Classic," "Best Modern," or "Best Presented" categories. 

Are custom sets not eligible for these categories, or were just none worthy? 

As a two-time "Best Presented" award winner, obviously a third time would be my goal ;)

Just wondering what the rules are, or if that had been considered. 

I could definitely be wrong (and I'm sure NGC will offer the definitive answer tomorrow so maybe I should just pipe down lol) but I always thought that only competitive sets could compete for those 3 categories and custom sets could only go for some of the 5 custom set categories (obviously, customs that aren't ancient coins can't compete for the new-ish "Best Ancients Custom Set" award). I always thought that was why we / NGC used the term "competitive" to describe that group, and so this wouldn't represent anything new.

When you won the Best Presented twice did you win one or both with a Custom set?

• Administrator
On 1/13/2019 at 3:20 PM, Revenant said:

I could definitely be wrong (and I'm sure NGC will offer the definitive answer tomorrow so maybe I should just pipe down lol) but I always thought that only competitive sets could compete for those 3 categories and custom sets could only go for some of the 5 custom set categories (obviously, customs that aren't ancient coins can't compete for the new-ish "Best Ancients Custom Set" award). I always thought that was why we / NGC used the term "competitive" to describe that group, and so this wouldn't represent anything new.

When you won the Best Presented twice did you win one or both with a Custom set?

Revenant, we sometimes change our NGC Registry annual award descriptions. For 2018, we actually offered additional awards over 2017. If you have a question about a certain award for a certain set, please send us the specific NGC Registry set type and user set name. You may reach us easily at registry@ngccoin.com. Thank you.

• Administrator
On 1/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I am looking at creating a new custom set this year. As I was reviewing the recent Registry awards, I noticed that there were no custom sets in the "Best Classic," "Best Modern," or "Best Presented" categories. 

Are custom sets not eligible for these categories, or were just none worthy? 

As a two-time "Best Presented" award winner, obviously a third time would be my goal ;)

Just wondering what the rules are, or if that had been considered. 

Thank you for the question, physics-fan3.14.

The parameters can change from year to year, but typically Best Classic and Best Modern are for competitive NGC Registry sets. Best Presented can apply to either Competitive or Custom sets.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:44 PM, Ali E. said:

Thank you for the question, physics-fan3.14.

The parameters can change from year to year, but typically Best Classic and Best Modern are for competitive NGC Registry sets. Best Presented can apply to either Competitive or Custom sets.

If there are PCGS coins in a Custom set, particularly a World Coins custom set, are they ignored as they are in the US registry? Or will PCGS coins contribute to a custom set? 

• Administrator
13 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

If there are PCGS coins in a Custom set, particularly a World Coins custom set, are they ignored as they are in the US registry? Or will PCGS coins contribute to a custom set? 

Hello, Physics Fan.

Thanks for the question. Any PCGS coins that have been grandfathered in to an existing NGC Registry set are still considered to be part of the set and therefore eligible for awards. Grandfathered PCGS coins are still considered for awards in US Competitive sets, as well.