• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check your pocket change occasionally

7 posts in this topic

I was going through my change container in preparation to take the coins to the bank and I came across an 1883 Liberty nickel with “no cents”.  It is somewhere between fine and extra fine condition.  Also, a 1966 proof condition SMS nickel in the same bucket.

It’s been a long time since I got anything worth value in pocket change.

This isn't a coin but when my fiancee and I were at the bank to get a cashier's check (if you have dyscalculia, as I do, a checkbook is an absolute nightmare.  Trust me on this) to pay our rent last month, I received a Series 1963-A $1 dollar bill that is probably in AU grade in my change from getting the cashier's check.....it's still crisp and everything.  It's not super valuable, but I was still thrilled with it and it now resides in my currency collection.  Not a bad little prize for undertaking a mundane banking transaction!

Congratulations @valk1999!  Good that you checked your change before depositing at the boneyard.  I've searched several hundred rolls of half dollars to appreciate what comes through banks. 

Here is a purchase at a coin club meeting I was at last month that was put through auction.  I don't collect currency, yet I didn't want to pass this up at a few bucks over face value.  The consignor confronted me after the meeting to let me know he received this note back in change at local bank last year!!!!  It happens....

020.JPG

023.JPG

1 hour ago, PocketArt said:

Congratulations @valk1999!  Good that you checked your change before depositing at the boneyard.  I've searched several hundred rolls of half dollars to appreciate what comes through banks. 

Here is a purchase at a coin club meeting I was at last month that was put through auction.  I don't collect currency, yet I didn't want to pass this up at a few bucks over face value.  The consignor confronted me after the meeting to let me know he received this note back in change at local bank last year!!!!  It happens....

020.JPG

023.JPG

PocketArt...I LOVE that $20!  That was a great snag, and I wouldn't have passed it up either as I am a big currency guy.  I'm also very envious of the original consignor getting that at his bank!  Ah well, maybe someday I'll get one from my bank.  Thanks for sharing that with us.