• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robbins Apollo 11 1/2 OZ Gold Restrike

3 posts in this topic

As a space and coin collector I was looking forward to possibly acquiring one of these.  I called yesterday for the price and was shocked to hear $1995 for $620 worth of gold.  They are minting only 2019 of them, and as a 50 year Apollo 11 Robbins restrike I think it deserves some premium, but wowee I don't get the premium on this one.  I think $1000 would be a reasonable price for this 1/2 oz commem with a good markup, or $1995 for the full oz version when it comes out.

Am I missing something on the value here? 

Two thousand and 19 coins could be struck with one die pair but there would be more than one I would guess. I think it would be fair for the mint to recover costs but to what extent is the question. Whatever the price I doubt they will be cheaper on Ebay anytime soon.

A. It's an ugly medal.

B. There is no connection to the mission-flown originals, except it being an imitation.

C. The only discernible "value" appears to be in the gold content, which, however, further distances these pathetic imitations from the real thing.

Summary: "Click Bait."