• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help

9 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, alpcakici said:

still active topic

Probably hasn't gotten any responses because it lacks weights and diameters (in mm would be ideal).

4 minutes ago, JKK said:

Probably hasn't gotten any responses because it lacks weights and diameters (in mm would be ideal).

Asking for a lot as well. Maybe better to ask how to proceed to get this information, from whom. 

Thanks a lot guys. I don’t know much about ancient coins so any information is appreciated. I wrote down the diameters and thickness best I could. But these things are not quite round so I can’t say the measurements are very accurate. The big one ottoman coin. Not that old, I think I can find information on that if I dig little more.

I know that just because the coin is old it does not mean its valuable. What are your thoughts in estimate? Couple of hundred dollars or more?

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4944.JPG

Okay. Going with what is easy to see: 

Let's start with #1 and #3, which look very much like Alexander III Greek issues. We still don't have weights, but they look too small for tets (tetradrachms) and a little too big for drachms. Obverse is Heracles with lion skin, reverse is Zeus seated with eagle.

#2 very much looks like a silver denarius of Domitian. Nice piece. Looks like it's one of those with a reverse of IMP XXII COS XVII CENS P P P, that should narrow it down a lot.

#4 I am tempted to imagine is an aureus, but I am conditioned to doubt that. If we had weight, that would be a tell, but I don't know and I can't make out the legends. If it's gold, that'd be really cool.

Not getting very far based on the pics of #5-6. #7 is indeed Ottoman, AH 1293/3, 20 kurush, Abdul Hamid II, think it's KM# 722. Pretty common but nice piece.

Might be able to figure out a little more given weights and closer photos.

#5 looks like a pre-billon days antoninianus, probably from the first half of the barracks emperors (235-284 CE). By the end of that period, ants were just bronze with a token dose of silver, but the original intent was that it be a silver double denarius. Size and style look right. If I could pick up the obverse legend, I'd know a little more. I think that's also when radiate heads appeared, which look like an open bear trap on top of their head. Could also be provincial.

#6 has the look of Ionian brass, but without the weight it's hard to 100% rule out gold except by looking at what appears to be tarnish embedded in pitting. Gold does not tarnish, of course, but then again we aren't absolutely assured that it's tarnish to begin with. What is really needed there is a better idea of what that reverse device is. If I had that, I could probably figure out the issuing authority.