• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have a coin that was placed in it's holder back to front?

5 posts in this topic

Would there be any reason why NGC would have done this? Should there be a note on the coin label if this is the case? I just purchased a coin today, upgrade to my current collection and the coin is placed backwards from any of these in my collection. I guess I am just curious because this is the first in my collection that I have seen this. Maybe this coin has caricature. lol

Welcome to the Forum. I have seen instances in which  NGC has slabbed a coin with the reverse forward,  especially when the reverse has spectacular eye appeal - usually beautiful toning.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC will holder coins reverse side up when the submitter requests it. As Bob observed, this is done usually when the reverse is prettier than the obverse or features some important variety.

Thank you two for the replies. I prefer the coin facing forward. I will send this one in to get flipped. I did just notice today that I actually have a penny facing backwards in my collection too! I am a bit new here, although it appears my registration may be from a few years ago unless I looked at it wrong. I am more into paper money and have an account with PMG, is there some kind of connection here? My user name on there is RalphL I had to put a space between, Ralph L to use it here. I did update my collection here for what I have (pictures need to be uploaded). Some sets are complete with PCGS coins. I wish I could post those to show the completed set. Thanks again and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and a Christmas/New Year! to come. 

Colored coins from toning or if I like the reverse characteristics for some reason, I've seen some obverse's that are just plain and uneventful but the reverse is outstanding in detail and or design...some coins from France or Spain are like that, well probably hundreds of countries...